1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow self destructing?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LawnmastersMike, Feb 7, 2010.

1. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

We have a 7.5ft meyer plow ('05 not sure what model but poly) on a '05 2500 duramax. Last year it broke the A frame and we had it welded and fixed. Then it also broke the center bolt and we replaced that. Well this year it broke the center bolt again and come to find out it was a grade 5 bolt so we replaced it with a grade 8. Big mistake. Yesterday it ripped the center bolt right through the piece of angle it goes through. The operator of this truck is known to be a little hard on stuff but there are no marks on the front of the plow or blade to indicate he hit anything. Do you all think it could be the angle the truck pushes on the plow when plowing straight putting the plow frame in a pinch/bind? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appriciated and I'll take some pics when I get back to the shop.

Mike jr

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You can slam into a pile of snow... it wont leave any marks on the plow. Is the plow a commercial grade plow or a home owner plow you use for commercial plowing?

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

The poly should be the commercial version for that size. it shouldnt be ripping the pin apart enless its either way to tight or the guy is smashing the side in to curbs. Is the truck lifted? Or do you have the T bars crankd on it? I assume being that its a Dmax you had issues getting a plow for it because of the weight rating

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i say driver issues. certain people always have a "bad" plow. other plows last forever.

coincidence?

5. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

If the plow hits a curb it should trip long before the bolt shears. Check your spring tension.

The only other way that I can see to do that is by slamming into a snowpile and the blade not rising.
    Is the A frame level or is it mounted to high on the truck. If too high the trucks weight will force the plow down instead of up and this will definitly break something if hit hard enough, IE: pivot bolt or frame mount etc.
    Usually if the truck mount is to high the blade will constantly be tripping when pushing against heavy, low compacted snow. With a full blade pushing into a pile the blade can't trip so the force has to go somewhere.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Its suicidal! :laughing::laughing:

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

no duramax sits that high.:laughing:

8. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

The plow is steel not poly, don't know what I was thinking! It's commercial grade and after inspecting it closer he hit something. Tomorrow morning will be interesting! I cut out the broke piece of angle and welded in a new piece and reemed out the holes and replaced the center bolt with a 7/8" grade 8 instead of a 5/8" bolt. I took a few pics of the marks on the front of the plow and will post pics of the fix tmrw.

9. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

Thanks you guys for your responses!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it used a 5/8" pivot bolt then it's not a C series plow, they use a 3/4" bolt. The ST (non commercial) plows use a 5/8" bolt. May want to double verify what you have before you condemn it's suicidal situation. :D

11. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  12. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

It's supposed to be a "C" series. I'm not sure honestly. It's an '05 steel 7 1/2 ft. It has 4 springs and dual pickup chains so it sure is built like a commercial plow. It had a 5/8" center bolt tho I do know that. The 9 1/2 ft plow I run has a 3/4" center bolt though. How can I find out what model it is? We bought it new with the truck but dont know if we have any paperwork that would say.

13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

yup the hit on the side would for sure do it. There designd to take hits head on not from the side. And if it has 4 springs then it should be a C

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That dent in the first pic looks awfully rusty for a fresh dent

15. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

That perticular plow has had 2 new center pins and a new A frame in the past two years. I'm not sure when that dent happened and never really noticed it until now but it definitely is a good indicator of that operators plowing skills. Worst part is he knows what hes doing, I just cant figure out why hes been so hard on the plow lately.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Post a pic of the backside of the blade.

17. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Because he doesn't own it ? Just a guess.

18. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

You were correct I found the paperwork on it and it is a ST series plow. Sorry for doubting you, I just dont know why they put a non commercial plow on a 3/4 ton duramax with a service bed. That plow also only has 3 springs whereas our other 4 plows all have 4.

19. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

20. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

My camera phone doesnt take very good pictures!