1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer plow problems

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by nightman, Jun 3, 2004.

1. nightman

nightman Junior Member

my plow will not raise or lower and will not angle right or left. it was working just fine last week.

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

does the motor run? could it be froze? could your fuse be blowen?could you have a bad silinode
    if you have the owners manual then check the trouble shooting guide if you don't have one then it would do you good to buy one.
    there is no way for us to give you the correct answer without more information.
    Dwan

3. nightman

nightman Junior Member

yes i can hear the motor run when i try to raise the plow but nothing happens. I just bought this truck 2 weeks ago and i do not have the manual. the plow was working when i got it.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Nightman you could have a few things causing your problem.
    Starting with the basics check your fluid level.
    You may even have a clogged filter or filters, if the pump motor is operating.
    You may have multible valves that have stuck if the power unit hasn't been used in a while.
    This should get you started checking things out, but try to get yourself a copy of the troubleshooters guide.
    Let us know how you make out.

:rolleyes: John......................

6. nightman

nightman Junior Member

Garagekeeper... i checked the level and its real low. what type of hydrolic fluid should i use? I have some but its good for light duty hydrolics will this work? or do i need heavier fluid?? i guess i have a leak somewhere once i fill it up i will check for a leak. and go from there if i still have the problem...thanks for tour help

7. nightman

nightman Junior Member

Garagekeeper... i checked the level and its real low. what type of hydrolic fluid should i use? I have some but its good for light duty hydrolics will this work? or do i need heavier fluid?? i guess i have a leak somewhere once i fill it up i will check for a leak. and go from there if i still have the problem...thanks for your help

8. Garagekeeper

I would get yourself a few quarts of Meyer or anyone elses low temp hydraulic fluid.
    Don't use the hydraulic fluids not meant for low temp usage.

:rolleyes: John..................

9. nightman

nightman Junior Member

ok will do. would you know how many quarts it holds its a E-47

Thanks again
    Danny

10. nightman

nightman Junior Member

filled up with m-1 hydrolic fluid now plow raises and angles in both direction BUT when i lower the plow down to the ground there is still a lot of tension on the chain. I also found 2 small leaks 1 inbetween the motor and the pump and the other was at the plug by the selonoid valves.... reparied both leaks and still there is too much tension on the chain and it seems that the ram is not going down all the way.

11. Garagekeeper

The chain wouldn't get slack in it unless you push down on the lift arm while you have the ign turned on and the switch in the lower or float position.
    Thats not to say that there isn't a problem with the lowering valve, which is the "a" valve located on the back side of the power unit.
    :rolleyes: John...............................