1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer plow problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by techlogic, Sep 18, 2010.

1. techlogic

techlogic Junior Member
    from UT

i acquired an old meyer plow with an E-47 pump. it worked fine at first but started acting up.
    would come up but go to default position. took pump to "so called repair shop" they tested pump and said it was fine, i would get it back and it would work for awhile and then stop lifting and i took it back and said not working. they tested again and said it is fine. i would then hook it up and it would work for awhile and stop.so i am trying to figure out how to determine what is wrong with system? or where to troubleshoot.

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I use the e-47 with a slick stick and i had some problems with it it was the slick stick controll mine was cracked where the prongs are i rebuilt it myself the pump changed out th motor and replaced the b cly. An valve also i had a problem with my wiring i had changed that also

it works so good since i rebuilt the pump i bought the new meyer lotpro w/wings and i am using the e=47 still

if the shop said its fine look at your truck
    try this go buy a new controll if its still the same then it will be your wiring from the pump to your controler
  3. LON

LON Senior Member

If you are lighting the overload light on a touch pad you need to re-establish all the grounds. This is a common problem w/ Meyer lift units. Also, do you have the star washer between the base and cable and NOT between the bolt head and cable. See this one as well cause ground problems.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

lon is right on the money. poor ground will trip overload all the time. spray wd-40 on all of the valve coils. remove and clean all power connections.

you would be amazed at the # of times i have charged people to tighten the battery cables.
  5. mountaindew5011

mountaindew5011 Member

same here i had problems with crappy connections and junk wires last winter fixin that in the middle of a storm in no fun just went ahead and spent 20 buk at auto zone and bought all new ground wires and SPRAY THEM WITH SOMETHING to keep the corrosion off. I used undercoating hehe.
  6. techlogic

techlogic Junior Member
    from UT

ok, put on all new cables, checked the grounds clean off all connections.

i can move plow left and right no problems, now when I hit up to lift plow it immediately starts going to left.
    i can move it all the way right and then hit up to lift plow and it starts going left.

is this a valve problem?
  7. LON

LON Senior Member

is red wire getting power?
    If you have power @ the red wire next check for magnetism @ the nut on top of red wire coil.

It could be corrosion between coil & valve as well. Pull coil up off and see if there is rust on top of the valve where the coil sits down on it. Scrape any rust off and re-try.