1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow problems... HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 1982_F350, Nov 16, 2010.

1. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Ok first of all I am very new to plow hydrolics. I have plowed for years but with a snowbear plow that is all electric.

OK, so i have an E-47 pump that I have changed the fluid on, replaced motor, and replaced both B and C coils. I also put new hoses and couplers on my angle cylinders. When I go to lift and lower the plow everything works fine, but my angle just runs the motor and the plow won't move. I am able to move the plow by hand either way all the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it sounds like you have crossover relief issues. the crossover relief lets the plow return the other way if you strike an object while plowing. it's likely a spring is broken.

the meyer part no. is m15611 pump relief kit. this is not an easy system to take apart and would leave it to someone who knows meyer power units.

3. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Thank you. I was thinking this may have been the problem. I live where there isn't a meyer or plow repair shop around. how would be the best way to try to do this? I hear that there is like 17 different pieces in this valve. Thanks

Also is this the crossover relief valve or the pump relief valve? The part number you gave me was the pump's relief valve on http://www.smithbrothersplowparts.com/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Assembling it is easy, adjusting it is a little more involved. Do you have a hydraulic pressure gages capable of 5K psi?

5. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

I do not have a pressure gage but I know that I need to get one. I have read on many posts that they are your best friend when working with plows. once I get a set how do i adjust the pressure? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Thank you for the help. I really hope this fixes the problem. I am going to order a crossover relief as soon as i can. My only other question is, is there a certain type of gage that I need? brand or anything. As i stated earlier im kinda new to plow hydraulics.

8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

in cleveland call mill supply and talk to dave shega, he also rebuilds meyer plow pumps, i have all my pumps rebuilt by him, a little prevention goes along way. you don't want a breakdown in the middle of a storm

9. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Thank you everyone. So i was working on my plow today and looked at my quick connects and hoses and I have 2 different kinds (the quick connects are ball type and hose is pin type, and the other side is the other way) So could this be my problem or would that not matter

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

yes it does matter. sometimes it does not allow full flow of hydraulic fluid or other times it justs leaks

11. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Well I replaced all of my couplers to be the same. Still a no go on the angle. So its time to order a pressure gage, and a crossover relieve valve, lets hope this works.