1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Wants to plow, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Wants to plow

Wants to plow Junior Member
    from 53402

Hello, I recently bought a 94 S10 Blazer with a 6.5ft Meyer plow. It worked fine until earlier today. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the battery died and I had to jump it. I then lifted the blade and took it for a spin to charge up the battery.
    I got home and moved the blade a bit, but it seemed slow. I let it down and it wouldn't go up. I could hear a 'click' from the engine bay every time I hit the control, but couldn't tell where exactly it was coming from. I tested the grounds with a multimeter and they checked out.

I pulled the motor and tested it and nothing. Sweet! Simple fix right? Bought a new motor and hooked it up... nothing. Same 'click' I hate electrical issues and am not at all familiar with how a plow is hooked up.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have a bad connection at the battery or solenoid. unhook power and ground wires, clean grease and hook back up.
    at least you have a spare motor.

3. Wants to plow

from 53402

Is this the motor solenoid?
    http://www.autoeq.com/images/prodimages/1306070.jpg
    When taking the wires off it one of the studs broke and just spins now. I'm gonna replace it.
    One more thing. When it worked and I moved the stick to the left the blade went right and vice versa. Any ideas?

4. no lead

hoses are probably backward. that is a solenoid.

5. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

are you using the slik stik controller? if so, make SURE the plug is pushed all the way up and hasnt come loose. mine started acting all kindsa goofy and all i hadda do was simply push the plug up tight, lol

6. Wants to plow

from 53402

I switched the solenoid connections around, but that didn't change anything. Will I actually have to swap the hoses around?

Yeah, I'm using the slick stick, thanks for the idea, I'll check that out.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want it to angle in the correct direction you will. No other way to change it, thats how no lead knew the hoses were backward.

8. Wants to plow

from 53402

New motor solenoid, slick stick connections are good. Still the same 'click' Any other ideas?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you replaced the motor and the under hood solenoid and you're still just getting a click then you still have a poor connection somewhere. Check them all, especially the ground cable on the pump as it's often the one overlooked.

10. no lead

i would second bad ground. take a pair of jumper cables and hook to the battery. have someone angle the plow while you hook to power and ground on the plow motor.

11. Wants to plow

from 53402

The ground cable on the pump was easy for me to clean, right out in the open. I'm stumped.

12. no lead

did you try the jumper cables?

13. Wants to plow

from 53402

No luck with the jumper cables.

14. no lead

no luck with cables says bad motor. possible a bad ground somewhere. if you are sure all connections are excellent, bad motor. ding

15. Wants to plow

from 53402

I just bought that motor too. Do you know what's with the 'click'? It sounds like it's coming from the motor solenoid. Maybe it was always clicking and I just couldn't hear it because the motor drowned it out?

How many grounds are there? Maybe I missed one.

16. Wants to plow

from 53402

I just learned that the fill next the the solenoids may not be a fill. I don't know what it's for, but I pulled off the cap a few weeks ago and the fluid was at the top and I figured it was full. But the fill is actually at the top of the pump? If there isn't enough fluid could that be the problem? And why is there what looks to be a fill next to the solenoids?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Low fluid level won't prevent the motor from running. Not positive what "fill" you previously removed, sounds like the poppet piston plug. The actual fill plug is on the top of the pump right near one of the three 1/2" nuts/stud protruding from the top of the lift ram/reservoir assembly. Should take a 5/8" socket.

As to the actual issue, pull the motor off, run two nuts onto the motor through bolts to hold it together and hot wire it with the jumpers again on the floor. If it still doesn't spin then the motor is the issue. Either defective out of the box (common if it's a generic motor) or you dislodged the brushes in the top cap during installation.