1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Plow Help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by MT79, Feb 15, 2006.

1. MT79

MT79 Junior Member

It looks like this is where most of this type of question goes, so I will repost it here. Thanks
    Hi gang, I have been plowing my driveway with an old Meyer plow on my 79 F250 without trouble for 10 years. I believe it is the E47 pump. The plow stopped working with no power to the motor at all. I found that the plow side post of the motor solenoid melted right off so I replaced the solenoid. Now the only action I can get out of the plow is to raise/lower the blade and this can be done only when the ignition key is in the off postion. All of the wiring seems to be in order otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Marty
  2. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Did you hook the solinoid up right?? I run my toggles or stick to a power supply that is on when the key is on and off when off.
  3. MT79

MT79 Junior Member

Mine has worked the same way as yours until now. I suppose the new solenoid could be labeled incorrectly. There is a sticker that indicates the battery side. I should add that when the plow stopped working, moving the raise/lower toggle would kill the engine. Then I tried to keep the engine running while raising the plow and after a few seconds the soloenoid overheated and the post that goes to the plow fell right off the solenoid. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem to begin with is there was a poor electical connection at the post on the side of the pump motor. Thanks
  4. MT79

MT79 Junior Member

Well I made sure the solenoid has a good contact with the inner fender and tried switching the cables to the opposite sides of the solenoid. Nothing would happen with the ignition key off but the solenoid would buzz loudly when the plow controls were activated. I think I had the wiring right the first time. I don't have an extra solenoid to try. Is there an easy way to test the solenoid. It's 12 below zero outside and I have a sore throat so I am trying to figure this out without going through the whole thing with a voltmeter. Thanks
  5. MT79

MT79 Junior Member

Long story short: NAPA sold me a Western solenoid in a Meyer solenoid box.
  6. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Did I just hear a gift wrapped solenoid flying through a glass widow on return. Bet I know who I would send my repair cost to. Good luck.