1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow gets stuck in the angle left position

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fartbox333, Feb 12, 2014.

1. fartbox333

fartbox333 Member

My 9 ft meyer gets stuck in the angle left position. I used to just keep tapping the right arrow on the controller and it would work after 5 or 6 tries. If I push on something with the right side of the plow and hold the right arrow it usually works. It seems like last storm it was happening more often and not correcting itself as easy. Any ideas? It has fluid. It clicks when I press the controler in all directions. Could I have air in the system? Ice? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

you may need to replace the couplers for the angle rams

3. fartbox333

fartbox333 Member

Do they wear out over time and over extend?

4. KGRlandscapeing

They just go bad and they hang up or make side to side real slow or even like bang. They can cause all kinds of goofy intermittent problems. We've spent a few hours head scratching with issues like this.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

C valve or couplers like mentioned. You can try hooking lines right up to pump to see if couplers are the problem. Check for magnetism at C valve, no magnetism check for power, no power you may have an control/wiring issue. If you have magnetism most likely the valve if couplers are good. No magnetism and have power need to replace the coil.

6. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

You mention that "it clicks". Is it motoring when you try to angle it to the right? Does it get stuck left after hitting something solid on that side that forces it to the stops?

7. fartbox333

fartbox333 Member

Yes and yes. Usually when it's angled left and I hit a snow bank with the left side it seems like it over extends left maybe? Any ideas?

8. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

It is possible the angle pistons are over extending, as you mentioned. When it is fully angled to the left, it should be hitting stops. These are flat spots located on each side of the sector/pivot bar. If it isn't reaching the stops when fully angled, then when you hit something solid, it is pulling the retainer clip at the end of the piston into the seal pack. It can ruin the seals. This is not uncommon. The old Meyers trouble shooting guide used to mention this issue. It recommended building up the stop with pieces of flat stock until they were hitting. My plow was (barely) used when I got it and it had the wrong angle pistons, 10"s instead of 12". This caused the same problem for me. When fully angled, I was still 1.5" from the stops. I replaced the short pistons with the correct ones, after I ruined both of them. Even with the longer pistons, I still added 1/4" of flat stock to both stops, to be safe. Take a second and fully angle it left and see if it is reaching what looks like the limit of motion based on the sector/pivot bar. If it isn't, then it is stopping because the piston has reached the end of its motion and that isn't right.

9. KGRlandscapeing

Could also be a bent Aframe