1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer plow fuild icing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joe herwig, Jan 4, 2005.

1. joe herwig

joe herwig Junior Member

in cold temp the fuild icing up and plow not working :confused: :gunsfiring: we drain &clean all the milky fuild out every year but this still happens from time to time.any ideas. :yow!:

2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

make sure you get all of the fluid out of the angle cylinders also when you flush it out, otherwise the water in the fluid in them ends back up in the pump.

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If the fluid keeps coming out milky and you keep having icing problems, its sounds to me like moisture is getting in to the system. You probably have a seal or coupler leaking somewhere. Fix this and use the blue hydraulic plow fluid and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. fieldday

fieldday Junior Member
    from Wi

I agree you have a leak in the turn rams system. When the plow turns one ram is given oil and the other side gets sucked out. If there is a bad wipe (gasket) in the ram as it works it will suck water (snow) in. The hoses and connectors are also suspect. Something is letting the water in.

Here's my concoction for hyro fluid. Synthetic Transmission fluid with on shot glass of rubbing alcohol per quart mixed in.

The red fluid shows up very well in the snow should you break a hose or connection, giving you a heads up. Synthetic moved good in the cold and is easier on the motor. The alcohol mixes with any water that may get in and prevents it from freezing.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i put a little dry gas in there drys out the moisture hasnt froze in 5 yrs

6. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

My father used to run an E-47 pump. Always the same problem. This how you solve this one. First, get the pump repaired of all leaks. Especially, the lift arm gasket. Then, just like Plowman45 stated, 1tsp. of drygas will solve the problem.After my father did all that, he never had that problem again. If you really want to rid of any problems with Meyer's units.....buy a Western...Hehe!