1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow floats to the left?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ALC-GregH, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I usually don't post threads but I have a small issue. I bought a used Meyer poly blade plow kit complete from a guy local. He said he'd cover any normal issues for the first year so I want to get it figured out and corrected.

It has a E60-H pump. What is happening, when I angle right it turns fine but when I let off it stops very abruptly. So much so that it will all most bounce the blade back to other way. Now when I angle to the left, it turns fine but when I let off, it sort of floats to a stop. If I push straight, it will "walk" it's way to the left with a ever so slight bump of the stick. I'm a auto tech for 30 years but have never messed with a plow system. I kinda understand everything but I'm not sure if a valve is letting fluid by or if the left cylinder is bleeding off? I'd much rather know what is wrong when I take it back to him so I know it will be fixed right. If anyone knows the diagnostic procedure to determine the problem, I'm all ears. I have 50k in tools in the garage from 30 years of auto repair so I might have what is needed.

Any help would be great. thanks
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

3. ALC-GregH

from pa

Thanks. I had just gone there after making this thread. It didn't help much. I called Meyer and all it did was direct me to the on line troubleshooting page you posted! I called a certified dealer that I wasn't aware of near by and the tech there said it sounds like air in the left cyl. The guy I bought it from had it completely disassembled and replaced the a-frame and a few other parts. I haven't seen any leaks so it possible the guy didn't bleed the cyls well enough. When I picked it up, he had it hooked up to his personal truck (I had someone he knows install the frame kit and wiring for a couple bills a few days prior) actuating it back and forth a bunch of times. That is leading me to believe that he was bleeding it out. I noticed drain pans and rags laying around so maybe the tech is right thinking there's air in the cyl. He told me the best way to bleed the cyls so I'm going to try that first AFTER I go out and plow snow this evening! :) It's working good now so I'll just wait until I'm done plowing tonight and maybe mess with it tomorrow. If that doesn't work he said to bring it by and he'll see if he can diag the problem quick at no charge to help me out since I had filled him in on how I got it and that the guy will fix anything that fails for a given amount of time. I'll be sure to post what it was that is causing the issue.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If it is drifting I would check the seals in the cross over valve and the valve itself. Something could be sticking or it may not be set correctly.
  5. ALC-GregH

from pa

I just got back from doing the last of my clean up and salt jobs. I'm going to try bleeding the cyl and see if air comes out. If not, I'll drop by the dealer and see if he knows whats wrong.
  6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I would check the crossover relief valve as someone suggested. The slamming to the right could cause it to blow.