1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow electrical nightmare

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by w250, Jan 29, 2011.

1. w250

w250 Junior Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and am in need of help. I recently bought a 1990 Dodge Power ram W 250 with a regular cab and 8 foot bed. The vehicle was bought new by a borough and used for various tasks including plowing . A Meyers plow was installed but not known when. Also do not know make or model. Unable to find any identification. Approx. two weeks ago when plowing the voltage dropped to the point of shutting off the engine. Had battery and alternator checked (not a heavy duty) and everything checked o.k. Had vehicle to local shop and alternator was charging battery without plow hooked up. Re-attached plow and same problem. This coccus within 15 or 20 minutes. Based on suggestion of an old timer, i installed a second battery, Same problem. When plowing vehicle and plow are only running off batteries. Problem must be with plow. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? Would take to a Meyers dealer but that is twenty miles away and I am fearful of getting stranded with dead batteries. Any input welcome. Thank you in advance
  2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

at any time the plow is hooked up is it pulling huge power out, or is it only when you are moving the plow around? You may have a problem with the plow motor, does it move slowly? Recently my plow started moving slowly, and really hitting the charging system hard when in use. I pulled mine apart and cleaned everything up since it was a Sunday and the parts store was closed, and the problem went away.
  3. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I'm gonna guess that the shop just put a voltmeter on the truck while running and it looked ok. A load test on the alternator will probably show different results, or you may have an intermittent prblem and it was working properly during the test,

EXCAVATE49 Member

Raise the plow unplug it and go to meyers guy
  5. donjhart

donjhart Junior Member

Clean all your wire connections especially your all ground wire connections,pump wire,solinoid wire, and ground wire to frame connection,if still a problem your motor may be going bad . I always start at the ground wire connection and 9 out of 10 times this is where the problem is. Hope this helps Don.
  6. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Check the cap and rotor and button, I just had this happen on my dodge, When I took the cap off it was all corroded up. It would cause the truck to die and not start back until it sat for along time. I also replaced the alternator it was charging but not enough to compensate for the plow motor drawing it down, and have not had any other issues since I replaced those parts.