1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Pivot Pins? WTF

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ISP Plowing, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ISP Plowing

ISP Plowing Junior Member

I broke a pivot pin yesterday, and when it happened I was relieved to find out it was only that. However after trying to get the damn thing out to replace it I found out that it is the worst design ever! I used a torch and blew the stubborn pin out, but I want to change the other side which isn't broke also so that it doesn't happen to me again. Anyone have any tricks to work those pins out of there?
  2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Not on the removal but I know most guys will install some zerks on the pivot tubes so the pins can be fully greased if you dont have them on there already. Some models do and some dont as is my understanding.
  3. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

I just knocked mine out with a punch and a BFH.
  4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I decided to change mine this year, and ended up buying a new sector becuase I could not get them out at all. They were so bad I drilled a 1/2 hole right through the middle of them, and still couldnt get them to budge. I soaked them in penetrating oil for 2 days, and tried to chisel, cut, and generally molest them. If I wouldna known they were so damn tough I probably would have left them, lol. I used a cut off wheel to cut them between the plow and sector, that was the only way I could get them off the plow. It wasnt all bad though, the old sector was getting kind of worn and sloppy (elongated holes and such), so the new sector did tighten things up. I coated the new pins with anti-seize going in, so hopefully that will take care of things until next year. I was going to put a zerk in, but didnt. Maybe next year.

5. ISP Plowing

How did you get a good hit on it with the BFH? I tried using a punch from the sector side, were there is an access hole but there isn't much room to get a punch in there, and you have to go in at an angle?

Are the pivot pins made out of a softer steel like a shear pin? Because when I drilled through it with a 1/2" bit, it was like a hot knife through butter? Not to mention the molten lava it turned into when I hit it with the torch. :yow!:

On another note.... I went down to my local Meyer dealer and picked up a set of pivot pins. The old pins I have are rifle drilled and have a grease fitting on the end, but the new ones are just solid, no fitting. The dealer told me that Meyer stopped going with the rifle drilled pins because they were easier to break. Is that true? Also where are you guys installing the Zerks becuase I am not putting in my new pins until I have the ability to add grease at will!!!!
  6. No tricks just install the zerks so you don't end up strapping your plow to the bumper and driving 5 mph until you get your truck home. What?!:rolleyes:
  7. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I took a punch and put a bend in it and got out the bfh and used lots of heat. After that i drilled a hole in the piviot hole and welded a 1/4 28 nut and used a 90 deg zerk fitting in now. So far so good...Rob

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

lots of heat and a sledge hammer

10. ISP Plowing

Ok, here's the update. Tried to get the other non broken pin out, but had no luck. I pounded on this thing with the BFH I had, and thats a big hammer. I didn't get it out so i left it in there for now. I nstalled the new pin and zerks on the broken side and let the grease flow. I think maybe after a little more plowing and some blade tripping the other side might loosen up so I can get the pin out and install some zerks. I appreciate all of the help you guys gave me, oh ya, and when I woke up there was a fresh 5 inches of snow to plow! Cheers! :drinkup:
  11. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Hey, I did say I got 'em sloppy soaked in anti-seaize, didnt I? That should hold out for this season. I was behind on getting everything welded and painted and back together this year, it was starting to snow and I still had the plow apart in the garage awaiting another coat of paint (luckily, it stayed under my trigger), but I was in a hurry to get it back together and ready to roll. I PROMISE I will put them in next year :)

12. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

lol....I just wanted to use that cool finger wagging emoticon.

Heck mine arent zirked up either. I just packem with grease and oils and trip em often and they do fine so far. If and when one breaks Ill add zirks though.
  13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

You can't get them hot enough. They have got to be glowing red to get them out. Then try the BFH.
  14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

No tricks just install the zerks so you don't end up strapping your plow to the bumper and driving 5 mph until you get your truck home. What?!

Or if the guy plowing is a weight lifter he can just take it off the truck and load it in the back! :) That actually happened to me. Told my guy to take the salt out of the bed and I would be there in 20-30 minutes to help him. He actually picked up the blade and loaded it by himself. I have done it before, but i used leverage. He just deadlifted that sucker! Maybe not a true deadlift, but he didn't do it the easy way which would have included waiting on me!

As far as the rest of you guys, I feel for you. Been there, done that. Heat, yup. Soaked them, yep. BFH, sure. No luck on any of these efforts, definately not! Local welder with a torch, success! Grease zerks from now on!
  15. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

heat them up, get them red hot and they will punch right out. had two break on me. the new pins have grease zerks in the ends. you have to get them glowing red.
  16. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

royallawn is correct......the new pins do have zerks. When we replace the hinge pins we do not spend much time trying to heat and pound them out. It is usually much quicker to cut out the pivot tubes and re-weld in new ones.

Seem as though the original hinge pins without zerks are good for about 8-10 years before they break. At least that is what I have seen.

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

In Akron we call it B.M.F.H, M is for Mother....
    Looks like I get to play with the Flame Wrench tomorrow!
    I just bought pins and tubes for mine Friday.
    I bought the washers too, I take it they go between the tube and the sector tube? Mine does not have them. Or am I mistaken?
  18. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

the original washers should be there.

19. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Lucky me I replaced mine at the begining of the season with the new style with the grease fittings. Since I know that meyer has a pin breaking problem.

One of my buddy's has the grease fitting style and didn't know that you had to grease them. Snapped those pins right off his plow. He ended up drilling them out with a 3/4" bit (I think) Then putting in new pins with out the grease fittings.