1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer No spring adjust left!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MickiRig1, Dec 4, 2005.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 7.5 Meyer Husky 4 (spring-er) plow which is at least late 80's vintage.
    The plow has 2 new springs I just put on,other 2 were new last March.
    It no longer has any adjustment left, the nuts on the bottom are all the way down. I have just enough travel to start to separate the coils. It does not seem to be bent,as far as I can tell it's square. The pivot pin holders are parallel to the mold board with about 1/4 of play in the sockets. I welded on new outside ribs last year and checked all the welds on the plow.
    It also has:
    New king Bolt, newer ram bolts and new cutting edge.
    What is up? Has stop's that are bent? Plows toast?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Did you just get off a long flight lol:drinkup:
    Your usually the guy with the answers ? Not to be a smart a$$..
    sounds like worn hinge pins and bent stops?

3. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

i had a meyer c-8 plow 4 trip springs with the same problem. i had to put in new pivot tubes on the sector, and new pivot boxes on the blade, and new pins. After that the blade had plenty of spring travel. you have to cut all these items out and weld them in. if you have any questions let me know i will be happy to help you. hope you had fun plowing yesterday

4. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

big plow is on the right path. I just went through the same thing with mine. Right after I bought it, I noticed it didn't look right. Had it sitting in the back of the truck and my buddy says hey is that pin supposed to look like that? My pins were almost sheared in half. Toughest part for me was finding the right material to use for the pivot sleeve on the sector. the sleeves on my moldboard were fine. Just had to put new sleeves and boxes on the sector and install new pins. Make sure you drill holes and install grease zerks if you don't already have them. This will prolong the life of the pivot pins. Or so I am told.

5. MickiRig1

That's what I was thinking pivot tubes and pins. I have never seen this problem with a plow. I was thinking maybe I was missing something when looking at it. Like I said nothing seems bent and I inspected all the welds last fall.Millsupply lists all the parts,too bad the pivot boxes and ribs are all back ordered! :yow!:

6. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

MickiRig1

the place i get the pivot boxes from had them in stock the last time i got some which was about a 3 weeks ago. i go to sohards all seasone and they are also called RCPW there number is 330-468-2641 they are in macedonia. i also might have a set in stock i usally keep one set around. i will look tomorrow to see if i have them just drop me a email if you want them

7. MickiRig1

I am going to tear it down after the next snow Thurs/Friday.
    The more I look at it the more I think it's not pin's and boxes.
    The pin sockets on the A -frame have some slop but the pins are straight. The boxes are not rusted out and are firmly welded in place. All the braces and angle are cool too.
    With the spring tension off it the mold board rotates forward and back easily.
    I am going to try A- frame sockets and new pins maybe I will luck out.
    But I am thinking it's not that easy,more like twisted/bent angle iron on the frame it self.