1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Mate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gmgbo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I posted this in the Meyer Forum with no replys so:

I did the search but didnt find really what I want to know.

Im looking for a tailgate sanderto get into tight areas at condos. I want a tailgate spreader so my guys dont back the truck into anything. It has to be a sand/salt mix about 70% sand 30% salt.

Will the meyer mate spread this 70/30 mix efficiently?

I like the Meyer because of its price, the other sand spreaders are almost as much as a new v-box.
  2. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I dont think that will spread salt & sand. I beleive you will have to go with there there Blaster models
  3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Honestly, with the way things are right now w/ this economy, I think it's almost foolish sometimes to buy new anything...sometimes. Over the next year and the next few, I believe that there will be a surplus of good new/used equipment like we have never seen before. I really enjoy buying stuff that makes me money for pennies on the dollar.

I'm not familiar w/ the newer Meyers units, but I recently purchased a Snow Ex 1875 sand/salt spreader and so far am really happy w/ it. I bought the spreader used, only one season old for $1,000 cash from a small dealer...he was switching everything over to Boss. This past summer, I picked up a very clean 2003 F350 PSD crew cab w/ every option and only 56k miles for $18k when diesel was around $4 per gal. The previous owner was a tow truck driver who drove his work truck home at night because he worked 70-90 hours per week. This truck was just his leisure vehicle. Funny thing though...to make my point, he had a straight blade boss plow on it and the control and wiring for the same spreader that I bought later (it was only used to plow his small lot where he worked and a couple of drives)...he sold the plow and spreader separate and I was glad that he did. Having the mount and wiring on the truck saved me about $1,500 when I bought my new Boss vxt. I also now have an extra control for the spreader (about $500 value) along w/ an extra harness and mount, which will stay in my inventory of spare parts.

I'm really looking forward to this summer and next fall when my partner and I will be shopping for skid steers, trailers, trucks and other plow/salt equipment. The auctions are getting better too!!

I love it when people jump into the business and blindly buy new stuff...I'll be waiting for them to sell it next year. Sometimes there are good reasons to buy new, buy the reasons not to are increasing every day...just my 2 cents.

A bit off topic, just wanted to make a point...sometimes it pays to buy before you need it, because eventually you will. Good luck w/ whatever route you go!!
  4. DMC

DMC Junior Member

Meyer Mate problems

Having an issue where salt is wearing thru the Spinner Band and now wearing into the Hopper. I see I am able to replace the Spinner Band for $85, but is there a better way to protect the Hopper or the Spinner Band itself? Seams stupid to have to continue to replace the Spinner Band two maybe three time a season at a cost of $85 each time. Metal or rubber option?

There is even an area where the Spinner Band does not cover part of the Hopper and it will eventually cut thru if not protected.

See pictures attached.

Any suggestions?

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I would take a piece of rubber like what deflectors are made out of and attach it to the spinner band and you should be good to go. It is pliable and will hold up to the salt. I dont know how much room you have between the spinner itself and the spinner band if it would still spin with it installed. It wont rust, it is cheap and easy to replace if it does work its way through.
  6. DMC

DMC Junior Member

Thats what I was thinking. I was going to try to rivet it in place and see how it goes. Meyer said it is consider a wear item and depending on use wear out pretty often.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Seems like a cash cow for meyer if you have replaced the part 3 times this season for a crappy formed piece of plastic. either rivet it or you could glue it on if the rivets would hinder any of the functionality of the salter. Good luck and let us know what you did. Thumbs Up
  8. DMC

DMC Junior Member

Any idea where to find the rubber for cheap? I need pieces 3 inches by 25.5 inches. If I putting on Hopper itself too, I would need additional 5 inches by 36 inch piece for that. I just saw a old doormat that may work perfect.
  9. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

I have the myer mate I've had for few years didn't like it at first but took the the silver adjusting spinner off and it spreads sand salt pretty good now as long as there is no clumps or big salt rocks in the hopper .I was going to sell it because i was sanding one lot but picked up another lot that needs to be sanded and so far so good . No wearing yet but i'll check this afternoon.