1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Mate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by djd427, Feb 16, 2005.

1. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Does anyone have one of these? Are they any good?
    Thanks for the feedback

2. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

wow!

I was curiouse as to hear feedback on that spreader as well! I can't believe nobody posted!
    Hang in there I am sure somebody will give us some input!

3. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

sorry guys I do not have the Meyers but it was on my list when i was looking for a spreader, I got the boss tailgate spreader for my truck and got a great price too. w/screen bag splitter and vib. kit for $1900.00 the install was $300 extra but I put it on myself.great spreader its as easy as hooking my Blizzard plow on

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

That is all I run. They are good salters, except that you have to change the motors every 2-3 years. I have the old styles. they are cheap to buy used, and easy to fabricate to fit whatever vehicle you have. I just go done making a custom bracket so I could fit it on the back of my Suburban. It swings open, so I can open one of the back doors. I wouldn't mind getting a nice v-box sometime, but I don't have enough properties to need that much salt. Bottom line, these are overall good, very easy to fix, cheap to maintain, and IMO very cost effective for the average plower or for a backup truck.

5. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Jamie,
    Thanks for your input of them. Can I ask if you have ever run bulk salt or magic salt through them? We deal with bulk salt and a few people told me that they worked really good.
    Thanks again

6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I usually run solar salt through them. I ran Halite at the beginning of the season, and was using way too much. The coarser the salt the better. Here is why: when you run fine salt, you have to keep the speed down, as not to throw so much through. But when you run it slow it doesn't braodcast it very far. With the coarse salt, you can run the spreader faster, using less salt, with a bigger broadcast area.