1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Mate settings

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowtime, Jul 6, 2005.

1. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hey guys - new to the forum. I was looking for an answer to a question that I can't find on the web. Great forum though - I'm glad I found it.

I'm looking at buying a Meyer Mate, right now I've got an Buyers TGS05 that's pretty old and beat up. The Buyer's has an auger on it, the Meyer just has a vibrator, but its got like a 4" hole in the bottom for the gravity feed.

The Meyer Mate spreader has different positions for the "restrictor" disk or whatever they call it. In the most "open" position it seems like stuff would just be pouring out.

Has anyone used one of these - do you ever use the "open" position, or one of the less open ones?

I'm just really worried about getting rid of the auger and going to gravity feed - it doesn't seem like it could work as good. I'm also worried about stuff pouring out when I stop. The auger leaks a bit, but the holes aren't that big.

Any thoughts?

2. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

My suggestion is stay away from the meyer spreader and go look at a Snow EX 1075 pivot Pro or the 575 Mini Pro. I have the 1075 and i like the spreader better than my meyer spreader. It saves me at least 2 80 lbs bags per account and spreads it alot better than the meyer i think.

3. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

have you used the Mate? I'm more interested in it because of the ability to spread sand. Its got a built in vibrator.

4. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Still thinking about it - anyone got an opinion?

Is it really better than an auger spreader?

5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I have a 2 season old Snow-Ex SP-1075 for sale if you are interested. It is in really good condition with the swing away mount for $1050 plus shipping. If you are interested e-mail at fortydegnorth@yahoo.com or call 937-604-0272. If you are interested in spreading sand I would have to recommend a two stage spreader like a fisher or western. Count on spending well over $2000 for a two stage.