1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer - Longer Lift Arm Available?!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beverlylawncare, Dec 22, 2003.

1. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

When I raise my plow on my 7700 F-150, I wish I had just a tad bit more ground clearance. My truck only sags one inch from lowered to raised position. (measured at wheel-well opening on driver's side) I got to looking, if they make a lift arm, which would place my lift chain out a few more inches, it would lift the plow up more, allowing more ground clearance. My other alternatives are Timbrens (on order anyway) and adjusting my torsion bars, which I did on my Chevy, but it made the Timbrens ineffective. Any suggestions? If I drove with plow straight, no problems with clearance. If I angle left or right, I'm within inches of touching dropped corner of plow.

Thanks,
    Justin

2. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Height of plow

Which hole do you have your lift cylinder in on your arm? Put your lift ram in the back hole on your lift arm, you should get a full lift......

3. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Doesn't the plow attach with a chain like a Western?

4. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Holes in lift arm

You should have 2 holes in your lift arm, Bolt your lift ram in the back hole, This will give you more lift.... (ON YOUR BLADE)...

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

On my Diamond, I can adjust this by hooking the lift arm to a different section of the chain. Your Meyer, which has a slightly different lift arm, should be able to adjust the same way (I've seen that lift arm, very similar).

However, if you haven't got enough travel, so hooking it up like that would mean the plow never goes down enough, then you need to mount the lift cylinder in the proper hole on the lift arm or get an appropriate lift arm.

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

As stated the rear hole on the lift arm will give you more lift. There are also stops on the A frame ( the hoops near the where the hoses are on the angle cylinders (the hoses are often run through these)) These hoops hit tabs on the bottom part of the EZ mount on my trucks. This limits the lifting height of the blade. When that happens, thats all the lift you can get. Check to see if this is happening. Your ride height may need to be adjusted (torsion bar, springs or ?)

7. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I figured it out guys. I bought my plow from a guy who had it on a 97 250 HD, which sits up higher than some trucks. They "handles" for lack of a better term, where you route your hydraulic lines through, were hitting a "stop" which is welded to the light and pump frame. On 250's (at least the old body style) they had two stops on each side, one welded on top of the other. My plow buddy here (Western dealer, but knowledgeable on Meyers) told me to cut off that bottom stop, which would buy me some more lift. He stated that had I purchased the plow new, it would only have the higher stop welded on it, not two per side. Thanks for the advice though!

Justin