1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer light module melted

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by TazLandscapes, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

Last nite on my 2001 dodge 2500 truck my right side light module melted and was smoking pretty bad.i had no right headlight and my left side headlight was still on when i turned my truck off plus my high beam light was on in the truck.i unhooked the battery and took off the module just in case it caught fire. i havent driven the truck in like two weeks and its been on the truck for 6 years since i have had the plow. it wouldnt smoke if the drl was turned on. i can get a pic of the module in the morning but i wanted to know what the heck happened..

mike

2. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

If you find out let me know, the same thing happened to me last year. All I know is those modules are very pricey. I paid 133.00 for a pair last year, I don't know what they are this year. I have called about a few parts this year and the dealers are saying Meyer is getting ridiculous on prices so I have no idea what they will cost this year.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fried modules are normally due to one of two reasons. Guys either running high wattage bulbs in the truck or plow lamps...or a poor connection in the wiring between the modules and truck or plow lamps, which creates excessive resistance in the system thus heat in the modules

Ground lead connections are VERY important to their life as well. All grounds need to be 100%.

4. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

Let me refer you to my nightmare last year. After I had paid way too much for a "professional" installation, I looked at the whole mess while it was still warm out. What I found was appalling.

First, the hardware: 2003 Chevy 1500HD and a 7.5STP, E60, Nightsabers and a SlikStik.

Apparently, I had been lucky last season and this year I will consider myself still lucky...or smart. I opened up the hood and looked at all the connections just because 1) I am curious; and, 2) because I believe in maintenance. What I found was a whole bunch of those lovely ScotchTaps and some electrical tape that connected my entire plow set up. Lighting modules were hanging out of their plastic brackets and not one inch of wiring was protected from heat damage with any corrugated sleeve. It looked like a bowl of spaghetti and I was immediately pissed off. So pissed off, that I tore into each and every connection to repair it by properly using shrink tubing and soldering every connection and routing wires away from heat sources. Every large gauge wire connection was properly crimped with large gauge butt connectors and sealed with liquid tape and wrapped with rubber tape. All wiring was covered with plastic corrugated wire loom and it now looks factory installed. All plug and/or nut connections were cleaned using spray terminal cleaner and lightly coated with dielectric grease and all grounds are now connected to proper ground sources.

Lights are now bright as opposed to last year's dim, less voltage drop while running the pump, and as an added bonus, less worry about any wiring issues. The lesson learned here is that you must have impeccable wiring and connections. And, I used thin wire ties to keep my modules in place so that they don't fall out and dangle around as before.

Good luck.

5. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

That makes sence B&B. When I melted the first module i was using the ground in the turn signal a.k.a. no good. I now have them run directly to the battery with no problems now. I hope never to have that problem again, they are expensive. Plus I have all new battery's and cables for the truck this year, so hopefully no positive or negative issues this year.