1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Light issue

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by aubbie, Dec 5, 2013.

1. aubbie

aubbie Member

I posted a couple threads in the past couple of weeks and they were so helpful except for the lack of power and awful gas mileage but I meed something else straightened out before I tackle that. I don't do my own work but I understand a lot of this stuff....I have 2 left thumbs. Anyway I was on here talking about Hella lights which I did not Buy thanks for that. I know it's getting down to the wire...we got my new tires installed, and got the plow on. I went to turn on the lights and there was a problem. The trucks lights wouldn't go out ands the plow lights were on but not bright at all. The person before we had a switch which he must have had in the cab as there is lots of wire. It consists of a switch with around 6 or so plug in's on the switch. Now 15 or so feet along the tapped wire from there is another plug in...it's a 3 plug push in switch. One end has 3 wires, white, purple and green or black I think. The one it pushes into has 6 wires, and a few of them are corroded and 1 or 2 have fallen off. Now we hooked up a set of booster cables to one of the plow lights, and the other end to the frame, and that light was as bright as I've ever seen a plow light, but there was no high or low beam. My camera was at home and my truck is at my friends shop. Do you Guys think that 3 prong plug in with the 3 wires on one and 6 on the other could be the problem? Thing is I live in a very rural area in Eastern Canada and not many places to shop for that stuff here. There is one place, parts for trucks but their prices are out of this world. I can't really remember what it was like last year but I know I would throw that switch under the hood, [which should be on the dash], and the plow lights would come on and the truck lights would go out but I can't remember if that 3 prong switch was working fine. Like I said one of the male 3 prongs rotted off. Maby somebody with a meyer or western plow could give me a hand.
    Much appreciated. I mean I'd drive to the city and buy the parts for that switch but if it's not the right part, that's 3 hours driving and the price of parts

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not sure what the 3 prong switch was for but meyer did use a 6 prong switch in the days before their module. This switch was a direct wire in and didn't use any relays. Now I am not sure what truck this is on since cutting headlight wires on some trucks is a huge no no. But I gather this setup has been on your truck?

The 6 prong switch is quite simple if you think about. The center 2 prongs are for low and high coming into the switch. Then one set of side prongs goes out to headlights, the other to the plow light. Now if you have an ez classic design their should be a 6 pin connector for each light. Just make sure you keep the low and high beams separate.

3. aubbie

aubbie Member

Yeah I bought the truck and plow likw this. A 1998 Silverado 350

4. aubbie

aubbie Member

Kimber are you talking about the switch for the lights? I took some pictures. What I'm concerned of is this 3 prong connector. When I bought the truck last year there was a lot of wire, 10ft or more going to the switch, but the switch wasn't mounted inside, it was all curled up and sitting on the plate for another battery, and there was a switch at the end of the wire. Now last year I'd flip the switch and the truck lights would go out and the plow lights go on. Now I flip the switch and nothing happens except the plow lights go on realy dim like I said above. I follow the wires from the switch and they come to a plug with 3 metal prongs, but one of the prongs has corroded off. Honestly I don't know if it was like that last year but I doubt it....seems to me that might be the problem. I'll try to get a couple pictures on here, and that's for the help

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. aubbie

aubbie Member

Kimber I erased my message and wrote a long one but I was timed out by the moderator. I'll try to make this a tad more clear for you or anyone. The plow light switch has 6 connections, or prongs or push ons. In my rig the switch and all the wireing to it are in the engine compartment...the Guy didn't bother going through the firewall for whatever reason. One of the wires goes to the fuse box, and he others are hidden in a tube thing...can't remember the name of it. So real close to where they go out to the lights, there is a 3 pronged plug in connector for lack of a better word right now. The male has 3 prongs, one of them is missing...corroded I assume, that has 3 wires. The female has 6 wires but 1 or 2 have came loose and fell out of where they were supposed to be hooked up to. Now that's probably my problem would you say? I can't find that connector around where I live,,any ideas?

6. kimber750

Try to get some pics posted. If you just want to replace a damaged connector you can try an auto parts store for a weather pack connector and replace both ends.

7. aubbie

aubbie Member

8. aubbie

aubbie Member

Sorry about the size of the pics...I'm learning. So there are a couple pics of the 3 prong plug with the middle prong off...I guess that would be the ground? There are also a couple wires off the plug. So should I go get another plug like that, cut the old one off and wire the new one in with all the wires attached properly? Like I said above, when I throw the switch the truck lights don't go out. I hook a ground up to a light and it's very bright.
    Thanks alot

meyer light tires 003.jpg

meyer light tires 006.jpg

meyer light tires 010.jpg

meyer light tires 016.JPG

meyer light tires 011.jpg

9. kimber750

That looks to be a headlight adapter plug. Not gonna work without that.

10. kimber750

Those are the Dietz plow lights. May be getting difficult to find that harness. You may have to upgrade to atleast the trucklite series. That would be a lot cheap than getting the nite sabers and modules.

Dietz harness #07952 & 07951 if you can find them.

11. aubbie

aubbie Member

I guess they must not have been working that good last year either cause when I grounded them last week they were real bright. Hopefully when I get the new plug wired in they will work OK. I have time tomorrow to look for that plug harness, probably find it at an auto parts place. So those Dietz plow lights are old are they? And I find the plow works fine...about the same speed as the MM2 Fisher I had a couple of, but the Meyer hand held controller is bulky as hell..not very comfortable to hold and work. I guess I should also change my fluids this year since I didn't last year, but I was running **** tires last year so I used my other truck. I don't have many customers...I live half a mile down a road I have to plow myself. Well here I am babelling away. Thanks for the help

12. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

If worst comes to worst you could always cut the headlight harness and tap into that as well. I did that on my 97 silverado and i like it so much more. 2 sets of headlights ,no change over modules to mount and less wires to run which imo looks cleaner. I can see more and it was cheaper and more simple in design .just food for fought in case you get in a bind

13. aubbie

aubbie Member

Sterner I sent you a private message...did you get it? No matter, as I thought, there is no place where I can buy that plug so I'm going to have to wire the plow lights in with the headlights like you suggested. Can you let me know how to do that? We have a huge storm coming Sunday...I have another truck but she's getting old.
    Thanks

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try headlightplugs.com. I just looked and they have something that might work

15. aubbie

aubbie Member

Thanks, I'll try that site. I have a question for ya. I just do driveways and my own road...I get like $30-$40 a driveway and I only have a few. I just got a call from a friend who owns a couple Hotels. They have a fleet of kit for plowing, landscaping, etc but 3 of their plow trucks are down. He wants me to plow this storm. How much should I charge an hour? I just have a pickup with a straight blade. What do Guys normally charge?
    Thanks

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Average might be 60-75 an hour

17. aubbie

aubbie Member

more light stuff

I have to get hands on in this light issue now I guess. Since I couldn't find the plug I needed anywhere near here, my backyard Mechanic cut it out and wired direct. I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet to find out what and how but now my headlights and plowlights are on all the time but the high and low beam only works on the trucklights, not the plow lights. The plow lights are on all the time...I don't know if they're on high or low beam. I don't care about that, I just want the plow lights to have high and low beam.
    Also he hooked up my revolving light...it worked for about 2 minutes then stopped. I just put a nice rack on the truck which I will be working on, adding lights here and there. Before Ijust had a magnet mount small light plugged into the cig outlet. A friend gave me an old style one with 2 bulbs. Anyway I noticed that when I picked the truck up today both bulbs were on but only one was revolving. I jumoedin, drove it home and plowed a bit...it stopped working after a minute or so. Maby it's a fuse...I'll see tomorrow I guess.
    So are you Guys getting the big storm on Sunday? They're calling for like 35cm's here...that's around a foot I think

18. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

I just sent you a PM but what i was describing is basically wiring it direct. Think of the plow lights the same way that cigarette outlet plug worked for your old magnet mounted light. Theres a hot and a ground. The plow light is exactly the same. Theres a ground and then there are hots (one for the headlight,highbeam, and turn signals.) I directly wired mine into the headlight harness on the truck so that I could control them from inside the truck just as my truck lights do so whatever my truck lights are doing, my plow lights are also doing.. Essentially though on the plow lights you could ground the ground wire and run the hot wire for the headlight to anything hot (hot on the battery or hot in the fuse box, etc) which im assuming is what your "backyard mechanic" did. That works but you probably dont have highbeams or turn signals. it does however feed the hot and ground to work your plow-lights so at least you have plow-lights and can see

19. aubbie

aubbie Member

Thanks Sterner, the storm here is over, I'm gonna go at the lights tomorrow. I plowed for 16 hours using my 4 ways and the plow lights on low beam...most of it was in daylight so it was OK. Thanks for the help

20. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

16 hours....**** you can go buy 3 sets of night sabers now.lol jk