1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer King Pin replacement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by battags, Nov 22, 2008.

1. battags

battags Member

Can anyone walk me through the best way to replace a king pin on a Meyer 7.5 plow? I have had several suggestions on how to dump pressure from the angling rams (on truck, off truck, using spare couplers to bleed pressure, etc). Should I unbolt the rams from the A frame?

Also, any benifit to greasable king pins? My guess is that they will sheer off just as fast as a regular one.

Thanks!

Brian

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

King bolt...or pivot pins?..which are you replacing?

3. battags

battags Member

King bolt. I was able to get it realigned, but not without the help of a second person. I used a spare set of couplings to bleed the pressure off the angling rams. I then hammered the A frame down to force the fluid out of the hoses. Getting the bolt holes aligned was a little challenging though. Next time I will just unbolt the angling rams to align the A frame.

I used a grade 8 bolt this time too. Meyer's OEM bolt was a grade 5. I know the 8 is harder but it is also technically more brittle. It will be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

B