1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer housing broke?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BATTLIN_BLAZES, Oct 28, 2005.

a buddy of mine has a meyer 8' poly on his 01 chevy 2500 and the housing on the pump where the bottom pin mounts the pump to the frame broke off. looks to be cast metal? Not sure when or how it happened and the piece that broke is missing in action. can just the housing be bought or does he need to replace the whole pump? he was quoted $1800 for the pump and decided he was going to just replace the whole plow with a boss. I told him that was crazy to give me some time and we`d find a better alternative. I can buy the whole pump off ebay around 500-600 bucks but I`m still thinking there is a better solution so I came to the pros. I`m sure being cast somebody has done this before? If the housing can be changed how bad of a job is this? any ideas or advice? thanks again guys Rich
  2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Ive never looked at the mount under the pump. I will tomorrow but if I were you're friend I would seek out the advice of a welder/fabricator.

I dunno....I guess if its cast on the bottom of the pump it may not hold up if its even possible to weld on.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Replacing an entire Meyer's snow plow is the best thing he could ever do. I know I am soon as I can get a blizzard 8611lp.

well the welder was the first thought but being cast i thought there was no way that would hold up? and itsgottobegreen (love the name by the way a little partial to green myself) he does very little plowing his own plus a couple residentials but I agree with you on the statement, love my boss. but for what he is doing? a new one is a lot of money....
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i thought they were alum....if alum take it to a welder with a TIG, some have the wire feed guns for MIG and they work ok, but he TIG will hold up better. I would also try to sleeve the hole, that way the sleeve will be distibuting the force of the bolt over the whole inside of the hole.

If it is a pot metal or some other cheap junk i would make a new block that mounts to the pump for holding it to the frame, cut off the rest of the broken one, and figure out a way to mount i liek wleding or somethin.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well I got 7 or 8 JD garden tractors from 1964 to 1992 (depends on the week, since I buy and sell them)

But all the real tractors around here are kubotas. And soon also all the ZTR lawn mowers.

Also go on ebay. I am sure he can buy an old used pump for $300 or less. And then use the parts to fix his. If the piece is missing already, then you can forget about repairing it. You can't build up that much alum. I bet its a cheap grade anyways (what else do you expect from a meyers)
  7. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

you can just buy the base for the pump. i see you are in ohio i would go to RCPW.com they are out of cleveland and they have them in stock the E60 base part number is m15726 and it cost about $150.00 the E47 part number is m15573 and it cost about $118.00. this is where i got all my parts before i went over to all western plows. hope this help you out
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Yes there are several places to get a sump base for Meyer pumps. I have only seen it happen on the E-60 pumps and all of them had worn lift arms. The back hole on the lift arm gets egged out and lets the pump shift side to side. Seems like it is caused by pump being left on the truck year around.
    Just checked http://www.angelos-supplies.com and thier price is 104.00 for the E-60

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

replace the bottom of the pump very easy to do

thanks guys for all the help we`re going to go ahead and replace the sump base. looks like the cheapest way out short of trying to weld it which I wouldn`t put much faith in.

and I will mention this to him also because it has been on all year not sure why laziness i`d guess?
  11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

im not sure why you would buy a new pump? if just the bottom is broke, why dont you go to a meyer dealer and get a pump that needs to be rebuilt, usually $150ish, then take your plow pump parts to built the rebuildable pump???, i needed a spare pump for my truck,(for those 2am break downs) i bought a used pump for $100, spent 90 to fix it, and now i have a like new spare pump for under $200!!!! vs 3500 for A NEW PLOW ....... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR REPAIR
  12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a rebuilt e47 pump with a new motor Ill sell you for 300 bucks. And Im just in Mentor, call the number below if your interested....Rob