1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer HotShot Handheld Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jeckstine, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

Anyone have these Meyer Hotshot handheld spreaders? I have a lot of steps at my one site and was wondering if it would help save any money on ice melt. Right now we just sprinkle it by hand with a plastic jar. I have only found them by the case and was not sure if it was worth the money.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go buy the cheap ones at Home Depot.
  3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I stand at the top of the stairs grab a hand full of salt and pretend I'm bowling. Spreads pretty even and it's free... Like Burkartsplow said just get the home depot one. They're gonna break anyway...
  4. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I have been using a large coffee container with handles and sort of sprinkle it. I have one of those Home Depot ones in the garage some place. I will see if i can find it.
  5. the_snoman

the_snoman Junior Member
    from Indiana

We have one that looks identical however it's green and branded John Deere. Bought it from John Deere Lanscapes over the summer (around $25) for applying lawn materials however I've been trying it with deicer. It spreads calcium pellets very nicely however the spinner area has to be kept clean as the pellets do melt and build up under the spinner and basically lock it up. I tried our bulk rock salt in it and while it will pass the rocks some are a little too large and jam in the spinner area. I think it would work very well with softener sized salt or something of similar size that doesn't melt as quickly as calcium pellets. It does spread very evenly and makes quick work out of applying to small areas.