1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer "Home plow" WTH

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've seen numerous commercials for this plow in the last few weeks. I guess I'm kind of torn, one side of me thinks....thanks for trying to take money out of the mouths of professional plower's, guys who buy your product by "trying" to cater to residential home owner's. The other side of me says, yeah good luck with that. I never really gave it much thought until someone (potential customer) asked if I saw one before and how did they work.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

They sell them in northern catalog
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And Sears, probably right beside the washers & dryers. Home Plow
  4. Brian Young

Wow I didn't think they would be that much. I thought maybe they would be in the 1,000-1500.00 range.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why is clearing your own driveway any different than mowing your own lawn, painting your own house, washing your own car, folding your own clothes.....

I do everything myself. I even mount and balance my own tires, use a buddy's machine. The last thing I paid for someone else to do was rebuild an automatic transmission, that was three years ago.
  6. Brian Young

So what your saying is your really cheap right? J/K About the only thing you mentioned that you can really compare to plowing is painting. I don't know too many people who "don't mind" clearing snow from their own driveway, but now if they had this they might say hummm. I guess the ad is what bothered me. To me it says forget paying to have your driveway plowed use this, but for 2500 bucks, thats a lot of paid for plowing in most cases.
  7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't worry about it, just go into the frame repair business:
  8. LON

LON Senior Member

or airbag replacement service
  9. cheeseheadbob

cheeseheadbob Junior Member

I bought one to plow my driveway and maybe my neighbors, if he has any beer, and then off to work to plow my company's 1.6 acre lot. I am not in the plow business, so I will not be putting a lot of wear and tear on either my truck or my plow. It seemed like a very good solution for my situation. -Bob
  10. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with 2COR517, just like mowing a lawn. Save money on equipment and pay someone to do it, or buy the equipment and do it yourself. Lots of different levels of that obviously, shovel, walk behind snowblower, or one on a lawn tractor. Don't forget Fisher has the homesteader and western has the suburbanite. Meyer is in business just like anyone to make money, they are doing that by offering products in different markets. The people who want to do it themselves will find a way regardless of Meyer, so I don't think it in anyway is taking money out of professional plowers mouths...personally I pieced together a blade from craigslist, pump from ebay, then I custom built headgear for my explorer, now my silverado, rebuilt the pump and now have a slick rig for less that $1000. My driveway would probably be $50, and I've plowed say 10 times a year for 5 years now, so thats $2500 right there.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. Brian Young

I guess you guys are right, I guess I looked too deep into it.
  12. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Cub cadet has the same plow, it is made by meyer. My local cub cadet dealer is a customer of mine and while we went over new contract details he showed me a flyer of this! I chuckled and said "really". He tried to sell me one at his price just to get one out there i nicley said sorry but that wouldnt last me 5 minutes on my truck! He started asking me my thoughts on why i made that statement. I said well it all starts at the mount and goes down hill from there!
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Interesting concept. The situation is going to be maintenance and service. They are parts specific so support could be a problem you are not going to run down to the plow shop and get parts and as they are designed for retail sales outlets there isn't a guaranty of local servicing. They should be Ok for the guy doing his own drive but the system will not last under road travel or heavy use.
  14. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I just bought one to play with. Well see how it woks. I gave a couple accounts that have some very small nitch areas with only 1 or 2 spots. A wrangler would be good but. Don't have one. The areas are too small for even the regular cab 8' pickup we have. I have a 4wd escape hybrid that I drive around in to supervise and with the electric drive nd blizzard it is an animal in th snow so what the hell. Maybe I will wok for some little odds and ends. Worst case you'll see it on eBay in th spring..
  15. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

So it arrived and I installed it this week. Working on the Escape is kind of like working on one of the new diesels. A bear. Too much stuff in too small a space. The front hitch unit was the biggest challenge. The Escape using a whole lot of stamped, heavily cross connnected frame members instead of one big channel like most larger trucks so fishing the bolts into them was quite a pain. It was funny to note that the instructions even basically said this was a pain, lol. Minimal cutting of the lower bumper trim and with no lights, wiring was a breeze. I was actually pretty impressed with the plow. It was heavier duty than I expected. The power up and down is quite fast, but the side to side is a bit slow. They contoller is the same as the full size Meyer plows which means that the wire comes out of the top not the bottom like my boss plow controllers do. I love the flip around wheels on it. It makes removal and moving it aroudn the shop so much easier. Boss and Meyer wake up! We need this on every plow! The Escape seems to handle it well. There is still plenty of travel in the from suspension with the plow up in the air. Here are some pics.

Blizzaks for more traction

Definitely the most fuel efficient plow on the road

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A hybrid Escape with a plow. This has to be a plowsite first.
  17. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

LOL, bringing some green to all the white. Should be interesting. My experience from when I drove it in the snow last year was very good. The electric motor provides gobs of torque down low and the AWD system on it seemed to handle the snow quite well even with half bald all season tires.
  18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

You gotta add the Escape to your list of equipment. That plow doesn't look too bad. I plowed alot of driveways with a 6.5' Fisher on an '84 S-10, and that setup looks 10 times more reliable than what I had. Let us know how it plows...maybe I could steal the girlfriends Subaru for a day and give her a plow.
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer has slid into a interesting niche here. By using vehicle mounts designed and manufactured by another manufacturer and putting the onus of assuring the the suitability of the vehicle on the purchaser they have avoided the liability for the use of the product on a unapproved vehicle.
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not a chance. You can't beat the reliability of a Fisher Speedcast and the 6.5 footer Speedcast was a great little plow. Those could have the engine ran hyrdo's or the elec/hyrdo pump.

I assume that's what you had on an your 84 S10.