1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Hinge Pins

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by D.todd6, Mar 1, 2009.

1. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I have a Meyer 7.5' ST plow and I'm trying to get the hing pins out. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

an air chisel with a blunt head chisel works fantastic.

3. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I made a "dogleg" punch out of rebar for those. it works great, unless they're really rusted in there.

4. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I tried an air chisel but i couldn't find a way to get it to push the pin out. These pins are very, very rusty.

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I tried everything short of dynamite to get mine out. Got them red hot. Air hammer, 10lb sledge and a punch. Ended up cutting the tube out and replacing the whole thing. Drilled and tapped for grease fittings on the new ones

6. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

They are loose in the moldboard but are stuck in the sector frame so what would i cut out?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  7. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

8. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Drill and tap the end and use a slide hammer, make one ot of all thread and a nut . Use a weight block as the hammer part.Install and heat verry verry fast on outside and hammer out . Trick is to heat the outside fast and not the pin or verry little on the pin. I do this all the time at work on 3 and 4 inch rollers.Works for them and there are heat swelled in .

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i use a combination of things if they are really seized.

heat with a torch and spray with pb blaster a few times to get it broke free so you can pivot through the full range from straight up to full trip. once this is loose, i use a combination of heat, pb blaster and the air chisel. it takes some back and forth to get them out, but it is a lot easier than trying to break you knuckles with a hammed and drift-pin.

10. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I had one once that was stuck so terribly bad, that I just blew that section of tube out of the sector with a torch, and welded in a new piece.

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

heat ,heat and more heat drive pin and big fnd hammer.

JR

12. lohr

lohr Junior Member
    from 18411

Best way if they are stuck in the sector is to use a sawsall or cutt off and cut thru the pin in between the two hinge tubes.Once they are cut you can seperate the sector from the moldboard and then drive the half pins out,might still need some heat but it is alot easier with them seperated.Good luck