1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by LAB INC, Feb 4, 2009.

1. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Hey guys I am looking for some opinions I am looking into getting a new truck it will be a Ford F350 Reg cab XLT with the 6.4 PSD. This truck will be for my for men and will be used to plow lots and some driveways. I am looking for your opinion on the plow I have had western and fisher plows for as long as I have been plowing and I love them. I have a Friend who is a Meyer Dealer and he wants me to change over to Meyer he wants to sell me on a Meyer lot pro 8 in half foot or a Meyer Max CP 8.5 with the EZ-Mount Plus. Hey is telling me he will sell me the plow at cost to him but we have not talked about it yet. I just want to know what you guys think. I have not had any experience with Meyer Plows at all. I hear some people love them and then some people cant stand them. My Western Dealer is telling me to stay away form them he does not sell them, but he services them and he tells me that there is problems all the time with them. My dad use to use Meyer plows back when he did snow plowing about 20 years ago and he tells me that he loved them and they worked good for him. I am not about to bash them as a lot people seem to do in my area but just looking for you opinion. My Friend is telling me a lot of people who have trouble with there Meyer plows is do to lack of service. Thank you guys.

2. tilelayher

tilelayher Member

i bought one and its nothing but problems from day for me, brand new too wish i got the boss instead

3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I think anything you buy is going to have it's own problems, key here I think is to go w/ the best dealer...

4. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The Lot Pro is new so there really isn't any history on it. The C series are proven, a very good plow in my opinion. Both will come with an E58H pump I believe, a faster improved version of the E47, which is probably the most common plow pump in the world. I'd go with a SlikStik or dual toggle switches, forget the touchpad stuff.

FWIW, all makes can and do have problems. Since you're buying new, which has the best warranty? Which dealer is better. If you're happy with Western will your Western dealer match (or come close) to the price for the Meyer?

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i still have my original 36 year old Meyers C-8, and it has only seen 2 cutting edges and a few repaints.
    my second C-8 is 21 years old with 1 cutting edge and paint.
    my C-8.5 is 18 years old with one cutting edge and paint also.
    i have had a few LT 90's over the years too, but have sold all but one that i keep as a spare.
    i switched over to the western pods instead of the Meyers shoes, and get 7-9 years out of a set of pods compared to 1 snow event out of a set of shoes. in 36 years, i have only had to rebuild 1 E-47 pump, and that was a pump i bought used.. i flush the pumps every year before i get ready to plow, and never had a pump problem.
    i have tried fisher plows, and hate the the trip cutting edge. i have seen fishers with the trip edges get ripped of the trucks when they hit manholes Meyers plows float over.

i also do not care for the western system with the cables that seize up and the joystick that is always in the way.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

May be time to update your research. They haven't used a cable controlled pump unit in 15 years.

7. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

8. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

This is all of the contractors around here use. I have never heard bad news here..

9. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

This is all of the contractors around here use. I have never heard bad news here. Very durable. I got mixed reviews on western and fisher. Meyer has excellent customer service. They contact you immediately.

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:cool:tymusicI plow with Meyer products, they got a great dealer up here.

11. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info !!!!

12. AGM Inc.

AGM Inc. Member
    from Ohio

get the meyer. ran them for 20 year and rhey just never break, they keep going. i only changed the oil in the pump and cylinder and a scraper blade.

13. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks AGM its looking like iam going to go with the meyer as of right know I will keep you guys posted.