1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer/Hella Lights

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by aubbie, Nov 23, 2013.

1. aubbie

aubbie Member

Hi Folks,
    Happy season to us all. I have a light question. I am running an '87 Sierra Diesel shortbox with an old Fisher Speedcaster, and a '98 Silverado Z71 with a Meyer Electric/Hydrolic. I have had a couple Fisher MM2 set up also but I've never been happy with the lighting. I can pickup a set of Hella plow lights for $150. Has anyone switched from Meyer to Hella and if so, can they be swiched over without too much pain? Forgive my ignorance but is it just unbolt one and bolt the other one on? Also is there a lot of difference in the way they work? Do you think I would see $150 worth of change for the good?
    I still have to buy back up lights for the Chev...I have a set of enclosed round lights with a bracket on the bottom...quite standard I think...on my Diesel and they work pretty good. They were like $15 each...is there a brighter one out there in that price range? I am in Canada...I don't think we have the selection of retail outlets you might have in the states. that's it for now. I think you in advance for the help
    Thanks so much Guys

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As far as the headlights. Unbolt old. Remove wiring. Bolt in New. And install wiring for the proper function

3. aubbie

aubbie Member

Do you think the Hella lights are that much better than the stock Meyer? I DO have a hard time seeing at night. But if the difference isn't REALLY noticeable, it's not worth the $150. Thanks much

4. dieselss

That I can't answer. I run the rectangular western with upgraded lights. There good for me. What kinda of lights are the Hellas that your talking about?

5. aubbie

aubbie Member

I don't know really....I thought Hella made a standard light. I'm going to find out what kind of lights they put in their enclosures

6. dieselss

Hella makes so many lights its not funny . I personally have never seen any hella plow lights

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Im curious what you did to upgrade yours?

8. dieselss

these,,,or very close to these. replaceable bulbs. I wired them up for highbeam all the time tho. still haven't burned out a bulb yet

plow lights.jpg

9. xgiovannix12

they are still sealed units?

10. dieselss

No,,,,they have replaceable bulbs. So the whole housing stays

11. xgiovannix12

ah ok I was going this route but I figured the vibration of the blade will kill the h4s. From the looks of it you had no issues so far I might be going this route again.

12. dieselss

only issue I had was in the mounting. they aren't that deep so I had to make spacers to fit in the western housings other than that I love them. they produce heat so no snow build up on the lens which is oh so nice!!!!!

13. xgiovannix12

thats fine with me. I got no issues with modifying the housing MY only worry was going thru bulbs. Thanks man :drinkup:

14. dieselss

no,,no bulbs here and like I said wired them on highbeams all the time. if my crs doesn't kick in, im going on 3 years with these? all o.e.

15. aubbie

aubbie Member

I'll try to upload the picture and put it on here for you Guys to see. It's the housing with the high.low bulbs inside, and the yellow blinker on the side. Like a cross between the old fisher light and an intensifier light. I'll email the seller,[if he hasn't sold them yet] to get a model number or name

16. aubbie

aubbie Member

Hella/Meyer lights

I'm trying to download a pic I have

C:\Users\computer\Documents\20131125_150547 - Copy.jpg

17. xgiovannix12

are these them ?

[​IMG]

18. aubbie

aubbie Member

hella lights

YES YES...I've been trying to download the very same pic which I have in my documents for an hour now. Anyway those are the lights. The lights on my Meyer plow looks pretty much the same as my old fisher speedcast plow lights. Firstly, will these hella's bolt right on and wire up, and are they a much better light than what I am used to.
    Thanks for ending my pain. Maby another couple of hours I would have gotten it but I was getting quite frustrated...thanks again

19. xgiovannix12

NP yes they will work But they need to be wired up to your current setup.They wont have the same plugs if you have a quick disconnect on them.

Like dieselss said you can always put h4 conversions in your current lights. It might be cheaper and better then your current sealed beams.

I plan on using these on my plow soon http://www.ebay.com/itm/330730819559?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 I was going to convert to nighthawks but this is the cheaper route.

On a side note you can upgrade your bulb output but I would put relays if you go above 50/60 watts to prevent melting wires.

20. dieselss

Those look interesting. I'm kinda wondering myself