1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer headgear HELP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I bought a truck with a meyer plow on it and i am have trouble getting the pump and lights off. I shot WD40 all over the tubes that slide in. I got both pins out but the pump unit its self wont budge. ANy ideas......tips?
    Thanks
    -Nick

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Nick,try heating up the bolts with a little torch.

3. columbiaplower

MAtt there are no bolts. Its were the headgear slides into the plow mount................. its very rusty
    -nick

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

NO COMMENT :)

Jay

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

NO actually seriously columbia try banging up on the angled tubes while having someone pull on the headgear. or try somehow without getting near the pump to wedge a board behind the headgear and using the bumper for leverage try to get the headgear to budge out. Those are my best two suggestions.

Jay

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Log chain to a tree. Have someone put truck in reverse but DO NOT give any gas. YOU take a sledge hammer and start beating on the lift frame in the opposite direction. You might have some one else there to help catch the frame and signal the driver to put in park.

7. columbiaplower

Jay for hating meyers so much how do you know how to get there gear off......?Let me guess you've owned one?

8. columbiaplower

how do you beat on the lift frame in the OPPOSITE direction????
    thanks
    -Nick

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

The headgear we had trouble with was a Diamond on a 2500 Ram. Its a 98 ram and has a brand new diamond plow the guy who owned it before my buddy never used and the holes got corroded from the headgear sitting in the slots.

HEHE

I dont touch the headgear on my other buddies meyers i just use it for sh%#s and giggles sometimes

Jay

10. columbiaplower

ahh ok makes more sence now

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I hope you are able to remove it buddy ;)

Jay

12. columbiaplower

I hope so too! I bought the truck to pull a landscape trailer and as a backup plow truck. I HATE the way the headgear look just hanging there. i just want it off ASAP! Its a good truck thought.
    I dont think its ever gonna come off.
    -Nick

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I put Never-Seize in my brother's tubes the first year we took it off. It was tough, but we got it off. EVERY year after that, as mentioned above, logging chain (or tow strap) to a tree. NO other way that thing is coming off. Believe me, I did it for 10 years! AND you will need a little jerking to get it out. Just putting tension on it won't work. It is next to impossible to use a hammer on it too. Usually takes about 5 good jerks to yank it out. I suggest you remove the lights, as they are the only thing you might break doing it this way, and make sure all is clear when reversing :D

Heating it may help prior to the chain deal, even if only with a propane torch, it's better than no heat at all. You don't have to yank it out while it is hot, but the heat should help loosen it.

And actually, above I said 10 years.... more like 8, as the last 2 years my brother left the headgear on, saying it wasn't worth the trouble trying to remove it.

~Chuck

14. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

I had that same thing happen to a buddy of mine. He bought the truck used and the original installer never anti-siezed the tubes so it was so rusted that we ended up torching the tubes off the mount and then seperated the tubes from the head gear. I contacted Meyer and they sent me 2 tubes to weld back onto the mount at no charge since they said the tubes that are welded to the mount are not sold seperately. I then welded the new tubes on and we never have a problem taking the head gear off in the spring.

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If its been in there a few years,its permanent now. Just unbolt the entire thing,or live with it.

16. columbiaplower

John- Dont tell me that.......there has to be a way@!!!. I gonna try the tow strap method again but me more aggresive. IT will come off it has to

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Start soaking it daily with PB blaster for about a week,then with 2 torches(one on each side rail at the same time),a strap to a plow/tree with the truck in low range,and reverse and someone pounding the headgear,you should be able to get it out,if you dont bend the headgear or rails from the heat of the torches first.

18. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Don't forget to remove the 2 small "set screws" that bind the head gear to the truck side mount???????

ChicagoSnow

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Columbia,

Sorry to hear about the "Fun" you are having removing the headgear. If the towstrap/chain method fails to offer any relief you might want to try a combination of the above mentioned cures.

Meyer must have finally had enough complaints because they finally made the truck side tubes with a larger inside diameter ( these ones have the little bolts in them to help reduce rattle without the plow attached.) Some of the older ones had the bolts also but most of the older ones were tubes only and a smaller I.D.

We once reamed out the old style tubes but the reamer cost lots of $$ unless you know a machinist who wants to destroy his.

Meyer will with complaints send you a set of tubes.

I suggest pulling the mount off the truck. Split the tubes with a handy torch/plasma cutter/ grinder and spread them with a chisel. Then remove the head gear. Give them enough spread to allow the headgear to move in and out freely and then reweld the tubes.

Apply liberal amounts of anit-seize or grease before re-install and you should be good to go.

Wishing you sucess and sorry to hear about the Meyer purchase. The truck must have been worth it.

Jerre

20. columbiaplower

The truck was worth it......its just the plow that sucks. I dont even know if i can get the mount off. I been trying the blaster so we will see how that goes. The thing is just on the really tight. The rust is pretty bad. i may just cut it off get new tubes and put it back on.

trailer 003.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.