1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Hands Free Plowing!?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by patlalandebutt, Feb 11, 2011.

1. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

This product seem efficient to any of you, or just a pain in the ass? Im assuming the wiring will be twice as complicated now, as that system has to hook up to your computer/transmission in order to know what gear you were in.
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Pain in the ass. Will never be as smart as human control. It's not that hard to hold a plow controller anyway. Maybe, if Meyer's owners are having that issue, they should redesign that thing.

I never grew tired of holding the controller with either the Western CabCommand or Boss V controller.
  3. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

thats what i am thinking. it would have to go through two brains before it decides to do something (ie. the trucks computer, and then the plow computer)
    seems interesting though!
  4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I think it would work nice 50% of the time. How many times do you have to move around to position without any plow movement......!!!!!???? Alot!!!!!!! So now you will have to hit another button to make it not move or to change mode. Cool idea but not for me.
  5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know have you seen some of the clowns that have meyer plows??? LOL!!!!! JK Meyer guys!!!!
  6. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

That would be #1 on my list of "Things to swear at when I am plowing" if I had that on my truck. And the chances of me buying and using a Myer. Has hell frozen over yet? Because that’s what I hear you get to plow with when it does. :laughing:
  7. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

Just seems not worth it to me, I cant imagine how many times I would forget that thing is on and take off down the road and have the plow drop, or back into the driveway and have the damn thing come down. it is a great idea just not practical, especially with stacking snow
  8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

i have a controller with that option but my dealer didnt want to hook it up wasnt for sure if it would later screw up the electronics on the truck.. And by the way Meyer makes good plows.....so there
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

my boss has that he hates it alot and wants to switch back to joystick
  10. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

All to make it look easier to the homeowner. Anything to allow a hand free to run the cell phone while texting. Even if it was nice 50% of the time you would be more than cussing it the other 50% of the time until you shut it off and learned to operate the plow yourself. Not to mention more to brake and I am sure EXPENSIVE to replace.

What was the Clint Eastwood movie where he flew the Russian airplane that he controlled by his thoughts?

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The movie was Firefox. (I Think)

As for the Meyer controller, great idea for those who don't have the skills to operate a plow by themselves.
  12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of complaining from guys that don't even know what it is!!! Do some research before you make bigger fools out of yourselves.

That mode is for back dragging only. When going from drive to reverse, the plow will drop into float mode. When going from reverse to drive the plow will raise. Make sense yet? Watch the video again and try to pay attention this time.

I use it all the time. I have multiple parking areas that I back drag for the pushers. I just set it and go about doing what I have to do.

If there is only a minimal amount of back dragging work to do, then it's not worth the time to use the function but if there is quite a bit, it a nice feature.
  13. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

You do realize that it has TWO modes? Forward plowing and back dragging?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  14. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Well in that case, I was wrong. Mine only has the back drag mode. I could see how the forward mode could be useful at times but a total pain most of the time.

Sorry everyone, I'm just tired of the Meyer bashing. My plow has been trouble free since the day I bought it.

With all of this technology, why can't they put an "auto center" on there as well? Just tap a button and the blade goes perfectly straight. Or, one tap on the angle button to center, two taps for full angle.
  15. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I know why there is Meyer bashing. I bought one and the first trip out for the season blew the Pivot bolt right through the gusset. Took it back and was told its the only thing not warrantied on the plow. The most important strangth point on the whole thing is not warrantied. Never again.
  16. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

That's all it usually takes, one time out! As for the controller, P.O.S..
  17. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Seems strange that it would only have back drag mode. Is it an older model? Maybe something is not wired correctly?:confused:

As far as being a pain, I think one would learn quickly how to use it and remember to turn it off when done plowing. Just one more tool in your arsenal. I can see how it would be a time saver.
  18. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

i work for a meyers dealer and we have done about 10 plows with this system and it was actually quite simple to install in the wiring harness, there is a small blue wire that we just connect it to the fuse box. Inside we hook it inside with the fuse for the backup lights.
  19. The PuSher MaN

The PuSher MaN Senior Member

I don't know about you guys but I like to lift my blade before my truck goes in reverse. If I were to rely on the forward plowing mode system I would have a lot of torn up grass. The back drag mode seems alright though.
  20. Seems like a nice feature for maybe the homeowner user? But I would agree when I get to the end of a parking lot I hit the up button alittle just so I dont tear up the grass and keep on pushing while driving on the grass to push snow back.
    I just see it as something else to go wrong when you don't want it to. I do just fine with my Western handheld control and shifting all in one hand. Works just fine.