1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer EZ Plus issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by t_baker, Nov 28, 2013.

1. t_baker

t_baker Junior Member
    from Harrod

New to the site, not to the plow world. Need advice.

Just finished installing a Meyer Ez Plus with a E 57 power unit. Night Sabre lights. I am positive every thing wiring wise is installed correctly. Installed on a 04 Dodge mega cab.

Problem and question I have.

When I go to power the pistol grip controller I get nothing. No lights, no solenoid click, nothing. Does this unit need to be hooked to the plow to get power to the controller?I had this same issue last year and for the life of me can not remember if it was a MD II or a Western Ultra mount. Everything worked fine once I hooked the plow up.

I sell about 60-80 used plows a year and this is the second time this has happened. Problem today is #1 its Thanksgiving so I can't contact my normal guy with the issue, and #2 The plow is 2 hours away. This customer came to me with a plow he purchased else where. Normally on these installs I don't worry about getting the plow because I can hear control function through the solenoid. I just hate to send it home with him not knowing if there is another under lying issue.

2. BossEric

BossEric Member

I'd say for sure you should have power on the controller(lights up) and hear the solenoid engaging. Without being hooked up to the plow. This is the first thing I do also after installing a truck side harness. If everything is wired correctly, and is in good shape. I'd test the keyed on fuse and wire for power first , if it were me. If that's good , I'd start backtracking and checking the harness.

3. t_baker

t_baker Junior Member
    from Harrod

Everything shows good. Good fuses, power ect. Even unplugged the dash side harness and have power coming out of it.

Only thing I can find online is the controller will dectect and open wire to pump solenoids and lock out. Since I am missing the pump I would have an open circuit. But by lock out does that mean no power to controller at all?

Very frusterating. Been a good many years since I have messed up an install. I have spend several hours back tracking my work and it is all correct.

Gonna go to the dealer in the morning and talk to my buddy. Try a different controller at his shop and see what it does. Customer is not coming back to get it until Saturday.

BTW, that mount sucks balls. If you ever do one, charge good. Gotta drill four 1 inch holes in the frame for the back supports. Lovely Meyer at its finest.

4. BossEric

BossEric Member

No, you should still have power to the controller. And yes, some of the Meyer undercarriages can be more difficult than others. But almost all Dodge mounts seem to be more involved for some reason. If you had another controller to try it would have been the first thing you would have tried I'm sure . I would say the Dealer will let you try one to see if that's the problem ,that way he can make the sell.Just keep at it, I have a feeling it will be solved today. Be sure to let me know what happens .

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

fyi, its western ultramounts that wont do anything without the plow hooked up. no controller backlight no nothing

6. t_baker

t_baker Junior Member
    from Harrod

Found the problem. White power wire on the dash side controller plug was backed out just enough it wasn't making contact. Pulled it out, bent the tab out and shoved it in and works great.