1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Electro-Touch Inop, Then Fixes Itself ?!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dluders, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dluders

dluders Junior Member

I have a Meyer 7.5' plow with E47 pump on it. The pump motor was JUST replaced at an authorized dealer (Washington Auto Carriage) 2 days ago. Last night (one hour into plowing), my Meyer Electro-Touch control pad went into red Overload condition, then completely went dead a few seconds later. No internal lights went on to the four directional buttons. I slinked home with a totally inoperative plow.

I checked all of the wire plug connections to the motor, and checked the fuses in my 2002 Ford F250 pickup -- still no power to the Electro-Touch control pad. I ended up plowing today with my blade constantly in the "down" position (with no power) because we are getting BURIED with an 12"+ snowfall over the past 24 hours.

I was plowing my neighbor's driveway, and all of a sudden power returns to my Electro-Touch control pad! I have no idea how it re-activated itself. I continued to plow for another 3 hours with no further incidents.

I intend to call my Meyer dealer tomorrow, but they're going to be SWAMPED with plow repairs because of the heavy snowfall over the weekend. Anybody have any ideas about what happened to my Electro-Touch?
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

did u check the plug were it conects in the truck? meyers r notoruious for bad connections
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

cause id say if it workd again its not the pad its in the harness but have them check it out. but there mostly likely gonna say dont fix something thats not broken if u go there now.
  4. dluders

dluders Junior Member

Yes, I Checked Where Controller Plugs Into Dashboard

Yes, I did check the white plastic electrical plug where the Meyer Electro-Touch cord plugs into the truck's dashboard area. I'm sure glad that the problem fixed itself, because I ended up plowing many neighbors' driveways today. The ~13" of snow in one 24-hour snowfall was quite unusual for Spokane, WA.

I suppose that the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" will apply. I'm going to need my plow for upcoming snowfalls this Tuesday and Thursday. However, I'd still love to know what really happened to my Meyer Electro-Touch control pad.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've already done some homework on it.

Two things to check if you didn't already:

1) Make sure the the orange ground wire that should be connected directly to the neg battery terminal is clean and tight. This is the ground for the touch pad and will make them do all kinds of strange things if the connection is poor.

2) Check the black power wire coming out of the control harness inside the truck. It should go to a keyed ignition source somewhere in the fuse panel. Make sure it has a good connection in the panel and that the fuse isn't loose or falling out in the inline fuse holder on the black wire also.
  6. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

No fair!! We didn't get any in Ellensburg WA:cry: But sounds like more is coming because I-90 is closed from an avalanche:eek: