1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E60 stripped motor bolt threads

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jk4718, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

When I last replaced the motor the one bolt stripped, so I just left one in. That worked for two years and now the second hole is stripped. I tried the second set of bolt holes and can't get those to work. Does anyone have a fix for this? Being cast I assume that the hole couldn't be sleeved. My only thought is trying the impossible task of finding slightly larger bolts and re-threading.
  2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Well, re-threading and sleeving are effectively the same thing. Drill the hole larger, thread it larger, and either insert a sleeve, or just thread into the new threads. I would be inclined to get the holes welded full, drilled, and re-threaded the same size.

Note: nothing all that special about cast aluminum. It isn't like trying to drill and thread cast IRON, that would be... unfun. Possible still, but not enjoyable like any kind of aluminum or mild steel.
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Time sert comes to mind if you cannot weld and re tap.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Why not just buy a new cover? Two bolt to take it off. Also give you a chance to clean out the sludge that will be laying in there.
  5. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Order time for a new mounting plate was over a week, so I swung into Fastenal. Got two sleeves, tap and bit for $26 bucks. With two motor bolts into there it should hold together just fine. Thanks again.
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're welcome.

Thumbs Up
  7. mcquin35

mcquin35 Junior Member

Drilled and tapped mine.