1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E60 Slow Raise UP

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Duketj8, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a meyer E60 that goes up slow. I have tried a known good motor with no luck. I understand that I could have a bad ground through the motor plate(which I will check tonight). I am going to get a pressure gauge tonight and make sure the pressure is set to 2500 psi. What if my motor has a bad ground and I set the pressure to 2500 psi then I fix my ground. Will the pressure build past 2500 psi and blow my cap off? I cleaned the filters also with no luck. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like a weak pump.

3. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

E60 Pressure

Does anyone know what the E60 pump pressure should be with the 1 1/8" Ram? I know the 1 1/4" is 2500 psi and the 1 3/4" is 2000 psi.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, if you set it at 2500 it will remain at that regardless.

But a little tip for all you guys running the E60's since this is a good opportunity to mention it....

Drop the pump press down some from the original Meyer spec, it will save the top cap breakage/cracking issues that these E60's have had since their inception. 2200 psi is all you need at full relief and more than enough to lift most any blade anyway. It will reward you over the long run by prolonging top cap life for sure.

5. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

E60

So B&B,
    Do you think my pump is going out? I dont think the unit is that old. What if the pressure wont build to 2500 psi. I have extra tops so I dont care if I crack it. I just want my plow to lift fast.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll lift just as fast set at 2200 as it will at 2500. It will simply prolong the top cap life by doing so.

A slow lift is generally a weak motor or poor connection issue for the most part. But get a pressure gage on it and then we'll go from there.

7. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

E60

I didnt have a chance to get a pressure gauge until this morning. So I tried a new motor with two terminals and it is still slow up. So I took one of my good e60's apart and put that pump in the slow one with no luck. Now I have eliminated a bad motor, bad ground, and bad pump. I replaced the seal at the bottom of the ram cylinder also with no luck. Tonight I am going to set the pressure, try swapping the PA Block and the whole lift ram assembly. I did swap red up valve and it seemed to be a little faster but not normal. When I took the solenoid off the red(up) and the black(down) it seemed like those valves might have been leaking fluid where the valve meets the nut and not at the o-ring. Do you think I could have a bad up valve and down valve?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Until you get a press gage on it I won't make any recommendations just yet.

Did you clean the rear filter as well? If not you may want to check that one. The front filter just protects the A valve. The rear one protects the lift and angle valves and of course their related passages. So it's the one that will slow everything down.

9. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

E60

I figured it out. The one E60 has a 1 3/4" cylinder in it instead of the 1 1/8". I swapped them around and it went up at the speed I am used to. So here is my question. Does meyer make a slow version of the E60 quick lift? I was trying to figure out what was going on with the E60 manual but it is confusing how they list parts between the 1 1/8" cylinder and the 1 3/4". It looks like the new part revision is to use the 1 3/4" cylinder but doing that is just as slow as an E47. The E60H uses the 1 3/4" cylinder. Does anyone have an E60(1 1/8" cylinder) and an E60H and do you notice a difference in the lifting speed? Thanks B&B for your help. I was wondering what you think.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 60 w/ the 1 3/4" bore isn't much slower than one with the smaller 1 1/8" bore. Noticeable yes, but not a major difference. But the 1 3/4" will have more lifting power, which was one reason they were used on the bigger plows. And it's still a heck of a lot faster than any E47 ever built since the 60's use a gear pump with more than twice the volume as well as a motor with twice the power than any 47..

11. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

E60

I thought the E47 used a gear pump also. I know it is smaller but it uses two gears to pump the fluid. I think the difference between the 1 1/8" and the 1 3/4" is like night and day. I am not trying to lift one of the bigger meyer plows so the speed is way better than power. When I do a pressure test while raising the plow I get about 500 psi. Do you know how much pressure the E47's put out? B&B are you a meyer tech?

12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

13. Duketj8

Duketj8 Junior Member
    from ohio

When I asked if B&B was a Meyer Tech I didnt mean anything bad I just noticed he is very knowledgable.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All plow hydraulic systems use a gear style pump Duke. But like I previously mentioned, there's a a major difference in flow/volume of fluid moved between the 47 and 60 due to the much larger pump on the 60's...which is one reason it's faster.

If you want all the possible speed you can get, then put an 1 1/8" bore cylinder back in. They're still available if you dig around a little.

500 psi isn't anywhere near enough...you need over 1000 just to lift the blade off the ground. If your getting readings of 500 but it will lift the blade then your gage is fibbing to you. You want the relief set to 2200 psi like I previously mentioned.

An E47 is capable of a bit more than the factory recommended setting of 1650 psi. Not much more than that though, as the small motors that the 47's used just don't have the grunt to produce more.

Would that be considered cheating? :D

15. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

E-60 Selonoid Blues

Thought I'd take advantage of this discussion to weigh in on my Meyer E-60 plow. It has performed very, very well over the years and, of course, has taken a beating with the heavy snows we get up here in the Colorado Rockies at 8,000'! With the most recent heavy snows, the plow has started to "act up" with the "down" control. Left, right and up work flawlessly but the down switch/control has become very, very intermittent. I'm suspecting a faulty black-wire selonoid but am also wondering if the pricey control pad may be the culprit. I've also heard that moisture can invade the hydraulic fluid and cause similar problems but am suspicious of this since it is only the down control that is causing problems. Any ideas out there for a diagnosis/troubleshooting?
    Thanks!

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty easy to differentiate it as either an A coil or controller issue..

Next time it wont lower check the black wire at the A coil for 12V. If it has it then you know the controller is sending out the signal so its likely the A coil causing the issue. If it doesn't have it then check it right at the controller plug...if it still doesn't have it then you know its the controller thats faulty.

If you discover it does have 12V at the coil, then check the coil for magnetism. If it has it then its a valve issue. And of course if it doesn't then the coil itself is either defective or has a poor ground.

17. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thanks for the tips and we'll proceed accordingly! Stand by as I await for the the next failure.. .