1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E60 having issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by johnny1509, Feb 2, 2009.

1. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

3 season old Meyer CP-8 plow with classic mount/E60 pump and touch pad controller. Pump storred indoors after every season. Fluid changed as required. Di Electric grease on all connections. OK, My issue is after putting everything on truck and trying to hook up to plow, red error lights comes on as soon as I touch up button or left or right button. I have checked, double checked, triple checked, etc. all connections. Light resets when u turn touch pad off, but comes back on when you hit buttons again. Down button doesn't do it. And when u hold down button in float lite will come on. Inline fuses OK. When I short solenoid terminals, pump engages. Tried replacing solenoid....still no go,
    So do the touch pads go bad this quick? They seem expensive to replace for Meyer brand but have seen aftermarket ones quite cheaper. Have seen used ones on ebay. How can I check? Is this a chronic problem with touch pads? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John, Haligan's Lawn Care

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All connections? Including the ground wire for the TP? As well as the power cables connections? It's not likely the TP is defective by your description, more like a poor ground or pump motor issue drawing too much current.

4. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

that was my thought too.

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I've never had or worked on the touchpads. How does the motor drawing a lot of current trigger an error on the touchpad?
    I'm glad I like plowing with simple toggle switches :)

6. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

The only question with that is there is no motor engagement whatsoever. If i short solenoid, pump kicks right in and sounds normal and everything. I am going to stop by a dealer and see if they have one I can plug in to see if it is pad.

7. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

I also have a new E47 pump. Does anyone know if I can take E60 off and put E47 on as a temporary fix to have E60 looked at. My other plow truck with a Slik Stick has the E47 and all wires on front of truck are same.

8. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yes you can .make sure your solenoid connections are clean as clean can be any green on them and it will f the touch pad up

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You never said the pump didn't run. That's an important detail.

Remove the white wire on the motor solenoid and check it for 12V while you press a function that requires the motor to run...ie up, left, or right.

Did you check the solenoid for ground?

How about the touch pad ground wire? Should be either orange or blue and either connected to one of the motor solenoid mounting bolts or directly to the neg battery terminal.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The TP's are very dependent on ground and resistance. If there's ANY excessive resistance in any connections between the coils, motor solenoid, and ground it kicks the TP out right away.

And same here, take the old school switches over a TP any day. The TP's are (and always have been) far too unreliable.

11. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

Sorry if I missed that. Yeah, nothing happens when u push up right or left buttons. No clicking from solenoid, no sound from motor, nothing. he new solenoid I put on was in my truck's toolbox and it does have some green on terminals. I will try checking for 12v power at solenoid when buttons are pushed. Grounds all seem clean and tight. Thank you for all the suggestions.

12. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

and is there a touch pad to slik stick conversion kit out there???? I guess I will start searching. I do like the slik stick a lot more than touch pad.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No TP to Slik-Stick adapters but it's just a control harness change. Easy to do.

14. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you can cut the tp plug off and put spades on the wires for a fishstick

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A Slik-Stik you can (if you know how).

But not a Fishstick....control functions are different.

16. johnny1509

johnny1509 Junior Member

Ok, first off, Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Now the humiliating part. My dumb a$$ didn't ground the new solenoid. Since it was an aftermarket solenoid and mounted differently to the truck, where I mounted it was not a suitable ground. I am far from a mechanic and I thought the wires going to it were the ground. Now that I have grounded solenoid, plow works fine....touch pad and all. Feel kind of stupid...and I have always been one to try to fix anything. I will chalk this up to a learning experience. Once again, Thanks!

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes its right there in front of you. :)

Experience is the key. You'll now know for next time and will be able to tackle it like a wiring pro. wesport

18. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

duh, got my sticks confused.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds painful. :D