1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E60 Crime Scene Pic-need Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Oct 5, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Well.....This is about it with my patience for Meyer Products......My pump & Plow were maintained real well (So I Thought) until I hooked up my plow and did a dry run yesterday...I noticed that throughout the day, the motor sounded like it was struggling and groaning (not the normal high pitched whizzing sound it usually makes) So I was thinking maybe it was my battery or not enough juice was getting to the pump....Then the plow would not go up or angle (just heard a click from the front when I touched the pad) So I suspected that the motor may be going bad. I did a search on this site and found some great pictorials in removing the motor. Thought - Oh this will be easy. After I removed the end cap I found a pile of coroded aluminum and a rusty motor..Figured AHHA the culprit...Until I broke the long motor mount screw.....Then had to drill out the screw, then the motor was seized up against the pump plate...and nothing. I mean nothing was going to pry this out.Broke about 12 screwdrivers and chisels.....Got fed up with it and broke out the Air Cut Off saw and cut the aluminum off the end of the motor, to pry the siezed end out...And then I find that the pump plate is shot also because of the broken bolt.... ALL THIS CRAP just to replace a motor....And the kicker of the hole thing is the pint of SLUDGE that was in the bottom of the pump...Now I am covinced due to intentional poor design, that MEYER truly IS a parts company only out for the aftermarket cash! Now my question to you guys out there is where can I get great replacement parts at a cheap price..The price range I have seen on the motors alone are $99 to $ 190 (local ripoff dealer) Are there better motors? Is there a seal kit that I should buy while I have the pump apart? Help!! Need info. ASAP!

2. Santo

Santo Banned

Meyers are in the parts business. I have the same pump problems year after year , and rebuild them. I have a back-up that just sits in a warm room for that usual occasion. You can tell a Meyer user from the rear of the truck . Meyer users usually carry a hydraulic jack in the bed. One major problem with them is that they love to invite dirt and other foreign particles via the angle rams. Im scared to back-drag just for that reason.Cardoctor says the E-57 stands the motor vertical because of these problems, to let them weep.Looks like your motor hasn't weeped in a while.

After that 7 feet in Buffalo , how did it react?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  3. PetalsandPines

7 feet

The truck and plow held up nicely (In Fact our neighborhood had the most snow in the storm) I had no breakage. I was shocked though when I opened the pump up. From the outside the pump looks real tight and clean:dizzy:
  4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Weeping, WEEPING??? Dang I thinks its outright crying about now:cry:
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Oh No Winters coming and the Meyers are breaking ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ok Im stopping before I cause trouble.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Two little plugs in the cap. remove the lower one so the pump can :cry:

p.s. The corrosion is from condesation that can't get out.
  7. Santo

Santo Banned

P&P.....Has the crime scene been cleaned up?

You should e-mail your pix and problem to Meyer .
  8. PetalsandPines

NO, not cleaned up yet.....I refuse to pay $157 for a motor & $30 for a pump cover locally.....That is a crime in itself....I was hoping my fellow comrades could point me in a direction for more affordable prices.....HINT HINT:help: :help:
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Re: cLEANUP?

Ahh yes youve found your Fellow Comrade right here. Im gonna point you in the best direction possible. Me and my good friend Rooster were chatting about this post and decided to advise a Western or Fisher :)

Switch brands get a nice strong pump and setup that will surely give you great results all winter long.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just grabed mine of the shelf and pulled the rubber plug

11. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

Can't help you with a place for a new motor- I live in upstate NY and there is a great guy here that rebuild them, but your shipping and the rebuild price would be up there with your local area. Once you get it up and running you might try taking a 2 liter soda bottle, cutting the top off of it and placing it over your motor to keep the moisture out. You will need to periodically remove it and spray the unit down with WD40 or some other moisture repelling conditioner. I have seen several people in my neighborhood using this trick, and it works pretty good keeping the salt and grime off the motor. If you are interested in the local guy I use for my electrical rebuilds just let me know and I'll get the info out to you asap.

Good luck!!

12. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  13. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Try SAM warehouse i dont think the price on the motor housing is that bad might be able to do a little bit better on the motor meyer does make a cover that works good for protecting the pump and motor i use one on my e-47 for two reasons one is its black so nobody knows that its a meyer and i painted the plow red that also allows it to blend with the westerns the only way you can tell its a meyers set up is that its the last truck out of the yard during a storm cause were waiting on it to raise.
  14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If you want a FENNER pump PM me I have one for sale and we could talk prices.