1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E60 Breaking caps

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by naturalimage, Jan 19, 2011.

1. naturalimage

naturalimage Junior Member

I have a E60 that keeps breaking the top cap I was a bad as pulling the studs out of the base one time what causes this. The last breakage occured while driving down the road with plow up not hitting stops and then suddenly dropping and spraying fluid.

thanks

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

pump psi way 2 high

3. naturalimage

naturalimage Junior Member

psi

2200 psi checked yesterday

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

You need to adjust your chain so the plow hits the stops before the ram hits the bottom of the cap, I did this and I never broke a cap again. Do a search on meyers caps breakage with advice from B&B great advice he knows hes stuff.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Now if I do that on my ez classic with the e-58, I will not have enough slack in the chain to float. For three seasons, I have just ran the ram to the top and would bottom out on the cap, never broke a cap(knock on wood). But after hearing from B&B, that it will eventually break the cap, I just don't raise the plow all the way.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I never had a problem with it in the float position after adjusting the chain.
    You can also break the cap when you stack snow to high and the plow rises faster the then lift arm and hits the cap at full speed with no weight on the lift arm.

7. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

In that case you can weld stops to the a frame to limit the travel. The worst thing on them is when you're stacking and the plow goes all the way up then you hit the raise button and the ram goes to the top of its stroke with no resistance... the cap tries to absorb a pretty big shock. Sounds like yours is breaking for no reason, perhaps it was partially broken then failed while just driving down the road?