1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E57 Angle Problem--New to Meyer--Please help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Allor Outdoor, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks in advance for your help with this!
    I recently bought a used truck that came with a E57 Meyer plow on it.
    I typically run western, or boss...so I am not that familiar with the Meyer.

The plow seems to not be able to hold an angle. If it move it all the way either right or left it will be fine, but as soon as I release the control the plow not stay in the angle position...it moves a few inches back to the "straight" position.

It is not going completely straight, but it shifts a few inches.

any help is greatly appreciated!

--Brian

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Using the touch pad controller by any chance?

If you are, then thats 100% normal. Its all part of the "slow stop" feature built into the controller to allow the blade to come to a smooth gentle stop when the angle function is released.

3. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

B&B
    Thanks for the response, but I am not using the "touch pad" controller. It is acutally a joystick controller installed by the previous owner. The joystick is similiar to something that Western uses, but instead of it having it mounted to a control box that is then mounted inside the truck, this joystick is mounted near the radio with all of the "wires/control box" behind the dash. Fimiliar with it at all? Is this a Meyer controller, or something aftermarket?
    I can only assume it is a factory Meyer controller, because this truck was previously owned by Tru-Green...and with a large company like that I would think they only use factory equiptment.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure I'm familiar with that style controller. It's a Meyer Slik-Stik.

So if you angle the plow right or left it continues to travel AFTER you release the stick? Does it in both directions? "Floating" a little after letting off the stick to the left is normal. But not to the right.

5. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

It sounds a little like he's got the same thing mine does. If you replace a touchpad with a slik-stik you always lose a little bit of angle with each stopping of the raising motion.Also after turning all the way left it kinda jumps back right, not a few inches but just a little. Been a few months now but I think it always shifts left after letting off stik. Some kind of default or something. You know way more about it than I do though. Tell me too.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes that correct and is why I had asked since he's not familiar with the Meyer stuff.

Angle left is the default function for these pumps. In other words when no valves are open but you run the motor, the plow will angle to the left. With a fast pump like the E57/58/60 and a toggle or slik-stik style controller you'll always get the banging and jumping when angeling to the RIGHT, but will stop smoothly when angling left. And yes you'll also get the "left creeping" every time you raise the plow. All those common characteristics are totally normal.

And it's due to the fact that during right angle the C valve slams closed as soon as you let off the controller...causing the blade to bang to a stop. But due to the fluid flow design in the Meyer pumps, when angling to the left, you use no valves...so when you angle left no valves are actually open. In that case when you let off the controller, the blade comes to a smooth stop as the gear pump/motor "winds down" to a stop. Same way when raising, once you let off the controller at the top, the B valve (raise valve) closes but the pump/motor continue to run for a second...and with no valves open it angles to the left, causing the left angle "creep" every time your raise.

7. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Perfect. Thanks for the real explanation, knew it was something like that. Just know that the sound of the plow motor winding down on its own coming through the open window at 4AM with a fresh 4" blanket of snow is awful sweet. LET IT SNOW!!!!