1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 won't move side to side! HELP - I should be plowing!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kpf98, Feb 4, 2002.

1. kpf98

kpf98 Junior Member

Hi everybody! Snowing like hell in NE Ohio & my plow won't move side to side. The pump is a Meyer E47. Any help is appreciated!!

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

same thing happened to me you might have soma frozen water in your system that is leaving your valves messed up.change it out with new and it should help. that's what i did.

3. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

if cat 320 was right when you change your fluid try putting a few drops of dry gas in with your new fluid. ive been told to do this with my old e-47 by our local meyer dealer when freezing is a problem.

4. Rocky

Rocky Member

At the very least to get you going if the blade still goes up and down you can uncouple and close off the system for the angling and use a bolt in your A-frame to make it (GASP) manual angling. Hey, there's a concept!! Anybody had the pleasure of manual angle? It gets tiring after awhile especially when your seat starts coming apart from all the in/out. One of your cylinders is probably frozen from sitting in this ultra cold weather and it needs to be thawed with a fluid change.

5. Rocky

Rocky Member

Well, now that I've read it, it doesn't make much sense to try to manually angle the blade if the cylinders are frozen either. Try to see if it will move with the couplings together, (like when you are storing it). If it moves side to side alright the angling cylinders are probably fine and your problem is in your pump. If they are frozen, bring it in somewhere to get it warm and then drain and refill your system.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My 9' wouldn't angle either way one day. Just quit angling after I'd started and it had angled each way a couple of time. I put one side against a snowpile and pushed. Freed it up and haven't had a problem since. (disclaimer - Not responsible for your results)

7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Hey kpf98, what's your company name?
    I'm close by you in Euclid. Try draining your hydraulic fluid and then puting it back in. Or else take it to either Best Truck Equip. in Willoughby or Eshelmen's Truck Equip. in Mentor. Eshelmen's has 24-hour service. Good Luck and get it fixed quick! Another snow storms arriving late Thursday.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick,I was told to do the same by a friend of mine but the only thing is that you might mess up your pressure relief valve. it has worked though.

9. kpf98

kpf98 Junior Member

Hey everybody - thanks for your help! The truck is sittin in the garage with a torpedo heater warming it up (had to kick the old lady's Saturn out of the garage lol) Hopefully that will help it (kinda new at plowing) One place i called said it might be valves(?) but I'm gonna try the thaw first. Lawnkid - i just plow for myself, but workin on gettin in with a co. so i can make the big bucks lol! Thanks again everybody!!

kpf98

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

cat320 - I figured it might mess up something. It was a plow that came with the truck. I guess it's a good enough plow - 9' Fisher L model with InstaAct and not rusted. I've just been trying to justify getting a V plow. Broken relief valve sounds it would do it. Maybe next time.

11. kpf98

kpf98 Junior Member

Still workin on it!!!

Hi again guys - well here's the deal - replaced hydraulic fluid, lines fittings, etc. When i had the lines off of the cylinders, i could angle the plow by hand. When i hooked the lines back up & refilled the pump, it moved to the right (driver side cylinder pushed out) but not back to the left & stayed that way. I'm stumped!!! It makes noise in both directions but won't move. Up & down is fine though!! Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!

kpf98

12. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

try to clean the c valve ( the one with green wire) ,if that don't work you will have to replace, goodluck

13. Rocky

Rocky Member

I think you are air bound. Try angling your blade again with the hydraulic lines removed. Fill the cylinder with the ram that is extended with fluid and hook everything back up. If that doesn't make it work you'll have to bleed the system. You can find a procedure for that on Chuck's Chevy Truck pages, there should be a link somewhere on this forum. He is the founder of this website. What ever your problem is should be addressed in Chucks other site.

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you could be air bound like rocky said i was when i did all my lines.I took the whole thin apart becuse there is a spot at the very bottom that you can't clean good other than taking apart.It did take away to get the air out.And you might want to check the c valve too.but try getting the ar out first.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned