1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer e47 wont hold angle

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by maxaud, Jan 18, 2014.

1. maxaud

maxaud Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm having a temperamental E47 pump that's refusing to be fixed.

It wont hold angle/pressure when angled right.

The unit initially has the non adjustable crossover relief valves so I replaced those. Didn't work.

I changed the C valve with a brand new valve/o-rings. Didn't work.

Tried replacing pilot check valve. Didn't work.

Changed PA/angling block to newer style with adjustable crossover relief valve. Didn't work.

Tried a new slick-stik switch. Didn't work.

Checked hose connections by swapping left and right couplers. Problem switched sides so I believe that eliminated the hoses/couplers being the issue. Didn't work.

I'm all out of ideas.. thoughts?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you use your old components in the new block? How does the pilot check ball look?

3. maxaud

maxaud Junior Member

I used new components or components that I know to be in good working order. The ball looks good.

Thanks for the reply.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You can try seating the pilot check ball with brass drift and a couple of sharp tap with a hammer. Nothing to hard, it is only aluminum.

5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

That is the clue. You switched parts and the problem switched sides.
    Hydraulic hoses can look good on the out side but have internal damage where they swell up and have blockages. Change that hose.

6. maxaud

maxaud Junior Member

These are brand new lines on a test bench. They work well with other e47 pumps.

This pump doesn't have any lines, just couplers coming off the block.

By switching couplers on the line it shows that the problem is isolated to the part of the system that angles to the right normally and to the left while swapped. If the problem was with the lines, it would have stayed having problems on the same side, even after switching.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Not to mention, a problem with the lines will manifest itself as a nasty spray of hydraulic fluid all over the front of the truck.

I'd say that that is a particularly interesting problem. Check the wire running the c-solenoid -- make sure that it is NOT ENERGIZED when the plow is at rest. Its really the only possibility I can think of that would explain how the problem could remain even when you've replaced the valve block.

There are really 5 components that come into play;
    The pilot check,
    The check valve at the supply side of the C-valve,
    The c-valve,
    The crossover relief valve,
    The valve block itself (i.e., a crack in the valve block could allow seepage between the two sides).

The only other possibility is that you are just putting too much of a load on the plow for the crossover valve to hold back. Yesterday I was moving some snow banks, and was definitely overloading my crossover valve whenever I took too big of a bite of of the bank. Normal and expected in this case, that the plow wouldn't hold the angle.

I would recommend that your next test be to temporarily swap a KNOWN WORKING valve block from another pump onto that one. If the problem remains, it must be wiring, or just overloading it.