1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer e47 wont hold angle to right

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by chirsa, Nov 20, 2015.

1. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

So this is my first year in the snow plowing business, I bought a used Meyer e47 after getting it all installed and working, I took it out for a test plow we just got some snow here so perfect timing. When on the test plow I noticed the blade would not hold an angle the blade would go back and forth which ever way there was more weight pushing against it. So I went through the workshop manual diagnostic. I live about an hour away from the nearest dealer so I bought c valve o-ring kit, crossover rebuild kit, and what I ended up with also is a pump relief valve. instead of the pilot check valve and piston. I installed the new o-ring on c valve and rebuilt the crossover relief valve which I did find the bottom o- ring missing a chunk out of it, and since I didn't have the pilot check valve to replace I took it apart and inspected it, the piston would not move with a magnet I had to use a punch to tap on it to get it to move. once out I did find some light rust on the piston, I used very fine steel wool to clean it up. installed everything rebled the system and the plow would hold if the blade was turned to the right one time but if you pushed on it to turn left it would colapse the piston then you could move it to the right or left by hand. took it apart again and found a peice of metal shaving around the piston keeping it from moving, I removed it, reinstalled everything verified the piston moves freely, reinstalled and bled system. now the blade will hold if turned to the right nice and solid but still will not hold when turned to the left. but it will consistantly hold to the right everytime I use the hydrolics to move it. once i push it to the left though i can move the blade by hand back and forth to right and left until i use to controls to turn it back to the right again. sorry for the long post just want to give as info as possible, getting frustrated here.
    :realmad:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would suspect poppet in cross over is sticking. For some reason when you go right it may be seating poppet. Another thing you can try is seating the pilot check ball. Using a brass drift punch against the ball while in the PA block give a sharp whack with a hammer. This will seat the ball. You may have damaged the seat when driving the pilot check piston out.

3. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

thank you for your response i will try that with the brass punch seating the ball. what can i do if the poppet is sticking.

4. kimber750

Find a drill bit that just fits inside poppet cage. Then twist the bit by hand, do not use a drill, this should clean off any burrs.

Are you 100% sure you have the crossover back together correctly?

5. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

i do believe i have it together correctly i followed the video on the smith brothers put on you tube step by step. i will try with the drill bit in the cage, thank you again. I really hope that is what it is.

6. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

ok so i did what you said i verified that the seat looks good for the piston and check valve and also the cage in the cross over relief valve, and i verified i installed it correctly, but from what i am seeing on the diagram it looks like the piston and check valve are in the same position whether the blade is turned to the left or right and the same thing as with the crossover relief valve. it appears it is in the same position doing the same thing letting fluid return to the reservoir from the ram that is comming back in. it is still doing the same thing where when the blade is turned to the right it holds but when turned to the left it will not hold, one thing i did notice is if i push the blade back in when it is turned to the left then engaging the motor it takes a second for it to build that pressure back up to move that ram back out. i don't know if this info helps any. thank you in advance i really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  7. kimber750

Yes pilot check is in same position no matter where the blade is. Was just a suggestion since you said you had to drive the piston out.

Are you sure all the air is bleed out of rams? Running out of options, if crossover is correct, pilot is seated, o rings on C valve is good and air is out of the system the only I can think of is the C valve itself. Or a cracked PA block.

When pushing the blade by hand you may be pulling air into the rams.

8. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

that was the only variable i could see by the fluid flow was the c valve as a variable, can the valve go bad and let the fluid bybass back through the c valve but still function normal to turn the blade to the right. according to the flow chart the next thing it recomends is to replace the pa block, do you know what internally can go wrong in the pa block that would require a replacement.

i have also verified that there is no air in the rams or the lines. unless it is pulling air from the pa block when i move it by hand.

9. kimber750

When water gets in it can crack the passages when it freezes. How far did you tighten down the small bolt in the crossover? This is the bolt just under the acorn nut. Try running it in all the way and see if it makes a difference.

10. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

So when i first installed the crossover relief valve after replacing the orings i used a razor blade as a feeler guage to adjust the screw, i tightened it all the way down and it did not change anything. is there a possibility that the c valve could be letting the fluid pass back through it and still function normal to turn the blade or do you think i am just going to have to replace the pa block.
    thank you again

11. kimber750

Anything is possible. I would try a valve before buying a block. Where are you located?

12. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

colorado springs, co

13. chirsa

chirsa Junior Member

just an update

so what I ended up with in the end was the pilot check valve piston, when it would get pushed down into the the cylinder it would stick, what I ended up doing was putting a stronger and longer spring that I had around that was the incorrect part that i was given when i ordered the replacement parts, what this did is stop the piston from getting stuck all the way down at the bottom of the bore and now the cylinders hold for either direction. What I don't understand is why is was only holding on the one side with the way it was working and from what I understand the way it is supposed to operate it should have been letting fluid back to the sump for either cylinder. But oh well it works normally now. :mechanic: