1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 woes

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by magneto259, Dec 8, 2013.

1. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Hello all I'm looking for a little help with my freshly installed used plow. I had a local shop install the plow because I didn't have time to do it myself. They got it together but couldn't get the pump working properly. It is a E47 with the membrane push controller which is the round 6 pin connecter style. They swapped out my original 3 post motor solenoid with a 4 post motor solenoid. I don't know what the difference is between the 2. Is the 3 terminal solenoid sufficient?

When I press the buttons on the controller I can hear the solenoids on the pump clicking when pressing the buttons but the motor solenoid is not clicking. It is getting power to it but nothing out of it. The black wire with a white stripe and ring terminal is going to one of the posts on the motor solenoid. From my reading the other should be grounded. I done that myself but still nothing. If I jump across the solenoid with a pair of insulated pliers it will turn the motor on.

The black wire with a white line and ring terminal is hot. Was putting out like 10.5 volts till you hook it up to the solenoid and then it goes dead. Pressing the buttons on the controller doesn't make any change of voltage in either of the 2 wires with ring terminals. Is it a wiring issue? I thought about getting a new harness.

Any help would be appreciated!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

2. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I'm a newbie and went through a similar thing... My issue was a badly corroded motor that didn't turn. I was asked to check and make sure the pump wasn't seized by pulling the motor off and checking the pump gear shaft.

[​IMG]

Here's my E-47 process (page 2 where the wiring stuff comes in) if you want to take a read through before the plow gods come on and get you fixed up ;)

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=141261

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

When you jumped the solenoid did the plow move? Normally there is a white wire that triggers the motor solenoid but you may have a different harness. You can start with a test light to figure out which wire is which. Pressing left will activate only the motor solenoid. This is the wire that needs to go to the motor solenoid. Up should be red wire. Right is green. Down is black.

4. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Ill pull the motor and check the pump shaft tomorrow. I had the motor off once and it would spin up by using a battery charger as a power source.

No the plow didn't move. I only hit it for a second or 2 at a time. I need to put some fluid in it as well. The harness is all black with exception of one wire had a white stripe on it. Ill double check which wires were going to what solenoid. Is the motor solenoid supposed to get 12 volts from the controller to close the circuit and allow power to go to the pump motor? I am wondering if the harness has a short somewhere?

Thanks for the help all!

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That harness should have two wires going to solenoid. One signal and one ground. With them all being black and one with a whit strip I can't think of any way to figure it out with out testing testing each wire for function.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

consider the stripe #1, and assign #s going away from it

7. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. What function would the two wires with ring terminals have? I'm sure one is supposed to be a ground and would the signal be a hot wire? Currently one is always hot when the ignition is on but nothing when it's hooked up to the solenoid. Thanks in advance!

8. leolkfrm

you can find the wiring diagram at the Meyers site for your plow

9. wva

wva Member

Hi the small wire should be on the other stud that should make the motor run
    If the motor is bad the solenoid should at less click.
    And make sure you the ground to the pump goes to the batt.

10. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Make sure the solenoid is grounded through it's chassis. I learned the hard way that on the 4 post solenoids the extra little stud is not for ground, and melted some wiring in short order.

11. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Thanks for the replys.

I looked but I cannot find the exact wiring diagram for my setup. Every one that is close only uses the 3 post solenoid.

Here is the best instructions for wiring the solenoid from a website and is the way I wired it. The White wire from the harness goes to the S terminal, and the I terminal must be grounded. No click from solenoid unless I jump it from the big hot lead to the small terminal with the yellow ring terminal on it.

It is grounded pretty good I thought. Ill recheck the grounds. Also from my pump I have 2 ground cables on to the frame and one straight to the negative battery terminal is that normal? Sounds like overkill to me.

Thanks again all!

12. leolkfrm

is the white wire hooked to terminal 4 at the controller?

13. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

That I am not sure. I would have to poke around with the multimeter to confirm that. I'm not sure if the round 6 pin plug is keyed to know which pin is what. Ill check that out later. Thanks!

14. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Well I buzzed everything out and believe it is the controller. The harness buzzed out fine. Well I guess I'll trade the touchpad in for another slik stik. I have one on my other truck and really like it. Thanks for the help all!

15. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you get your slik stik in and your your plow slams too much at the end of angling right let me know or do a search here on "capacitor" and you will find my mod that holds the valve open a fraction of a sec after the pump stops running to avoid slamming. Some say you don't need it with an E47 because it's slower, but mine was noticeable after I wised up and switched to plow fluid, smooth as angling left now. The touch pad has the delay built in.

16. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Cool will do. Thanks

17. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Put the new harness and slik stick on it and was out using it today. Thanks for the help fellas.

18. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Great to hear! As long as you take care of her, you should get many years of service from that E-47 Thumbs Up