1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Snowplow Not Lifting Propably

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Larry45, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a Meyer E47 snowplow and when I'm out doing some plowing, now and then the plow sometimes wont raise, if you keep trying eventually it will work and go up. The worst is on really cold days (-20 for example) then it wont raise at all. You can hear the plow motor go when you push the switch to raise it, but it doesn't go up. What may be the problem? Is it the pump? Will the fluid in it cause this if it is old or maybe dirty (little bit of moisture/water in it). I bought the plow used so I am not really sure when the fluid was changed. It use to work fine (but I always thought it was a little slow raising). The plow is probably about 15 years old. Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this issue.

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

most likely water in youre fluid.

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

If you bought it used. I would change the filters and fluid. You don't know when that was done last. Make sure you use a good fluid (Meyer's Blue works well). When the water in the fluid starts freezing it's blocking your hydrolic system and it's putting a strain on your motor. Start there and let us know if that fixes the problem.

5. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

I'll flush and fill with new fluid, plus clean up the filters and let you know how it goes from there.
    Thanks alot guys for the advice. Thank you 04sd for the service manual site, that baby came in really handy.

6. pldann86

pldann86 Member
    from LI NY

It's probably frozen all it takes is just a little ice in the lines to screw it up
    Happened to me 3 days ago

When you flush it you got to take one of the lines off one of the angling rams
    and move the blade back and forth all the way to get most of the fluid out

7. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

I drained the old fluid out, then flushed the main lift ram cylinder with keorsene and cleaned up the 2 filters by the drain plug (the filters did seem to have little ice crystles in them). After I done that and filled it with fluid again it seemed to work fine for a couple of days. Then as before it wouldn't lift on times, and now it wont lift at all. When it was lifting for them couple of days after I drained and flushed it, the temp was warmer and in the +'s and now it is cold again and back down to the -10 to -15 area. What may be the cause of this? Is it possible I didn't flush good enough to get all the moisture and water out and it's still freezing? I drained the fluid and then flushed it with a quart of keorsene. I put the keorsene in the fill hole and just let it poor threw the main ram cylinder, then I pushed the main ram cylinder up and down a couple of time to try and clean it out. Is this what you do? or is there maybe something else causing it not to lift.

8. pldann86

pldann86 Member
    from LI NY

You GOT to drain BOTH angling rams Just take the fitting off one of the rams and move the blade
    back and forth a bounch of times
    Make sure you have the blade in the air to do it

9. bigdaddyflem

bigdaddyflem Junior Member

pump freeze

Also if your lift ram and angle rams are pitted or have rust on them you will get water contamination every time you plow..