1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Quit Today 1/26 Help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by phishoook, Jan 26, 2003.

1. phishoook

phishoook Member

Was plowing today, and my plow began to slow down when lifting and angling. So I stopped and checked the fluid and filled it.(just a little low) Then plowed a 15 min. lot while it still opperated slow, and it quit totally. No angle, or raising. Drove it back and put it in a heated shop.

I can hear the motor when I hit the switch, but nothing happens.

Need to get this up and going by 5am tomarrow.

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I had the same problem recently. For me, it was moisture in the pump that had frozen. Little bits of ice had clogged the intake port not allowing fluid to be sucked into the pump. The motor would spin but no movement. The quickest way to tell you to get up and running is to get the unit in front of a heater. Drain the fluid, pull the filters, put Kerosene in a empty fluid bottle and pour into unit after it is warm. (NOT blistering hot, Kerosene will ignite!) install plugs fill half way and shake the hell out of the unit. remove plugs, drain, and do over several times. A good blast of air will help get the grime out. Fill with good fluid and drain again. Install good fluid and HOPEFULLY you will be able to get back on the road. This is a simple fix. Just takes some time.

You really ought to get the majority of fluid out of the cylinders as well.

You really need to tear down the unit and give it a good cleaning. You will need a few parts to do this right. Specifically O-rings and 3 plastic washer/seals for the top cover. You can do this without but you will need to replace these parts ASAP!

Hope this helps

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Now your sure the motor is operating? After the unit has been in the "heated" shop for a while try to operate it again, if it does then more than likely the fluid has water in it and is icing up, blocking flow through the filter and into the pump
    Drain the power unit and angle cylinders and refill with low temp hydraulic fluid. You'll find that some older and high usage units need the fluids changed more than once during the season do to aging seals and condensation build up. :rolleyes: John

4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Another one! Why can't you guys fill out the area where you live?city/state. It should be required! Not trying to be a wise a$$ but if you had a location listed and I was local I would tell you I would lend you a pump for the storm. Not like any of us are going to come to your house and steal your plow.

5. Mac

Mac Member

I just fix one with the same prob.

Do this is heating it up does not help.

I would first drain all the fuild out.

Then remove the on the filters front of the plow. Which are 2 11/16 bolts located around the drain. Clean with kerosene

There is another filter inside the lift cylinder remove the three bolts (I think 7/16). Hit the top plate with a screw driver and hammer. Then remove the lift cyclinder (just pull on it). Then remove the filter. Clean with kerosene.

U should clean all part of the pump with kerosene. U should replace all the seals.

Also take the motor of and add a bead of RTV along the mating surfaces.

If the filter are full of black crap then, u should check all your rams for over extenstion. An then check the ram packings

6. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

dont forget to drain and replace the fluid in angle cylinders also. this is probably where the water got in the system in the frist place.

7. phishoook

phishoook Member

Thanks guys.

Checked, rechecked, and had a few other guys check.

The pump went out. It ran really slow untill it heated the fluid up, the the fluid was too thin to opperate with pressure.

So I'm putting on a new pump, seal kit, and a new top shaft.

$229.00

Second seal kit in a few weeks.

Landman, sorry. Hamlet, IN. 40 min. south of South Bend. But I did get a truck to finish up with. I didn' know plowing with two different trucks would be so different.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Since you are spending money for the pump why not spend a bit more and convert it to run the new motor like the e57? I think the cost of this conversion which includes a new pump and motor is $220.00. Well worth the speed gain IMO.