1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by defdes, Jan 27, 2016.

1. defdes

defdes Junior Member

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.
    I have this E47 attached to my '65 Dodge Power Wagon which I got with it some years ago upon purchase. Now that the truck is road worthy, I have attached the plow with the intention of using it for personal use (plowing with the tractor and bucket was growing cold and slow).
    I just replaced the lines and fittings as there were signs of weeping fluid, I drained and flushed the system, and refilled using the method found here in the archive. I compressed one side, put the hose in a can of fluid, pushed to the opposite side, screwed on the quick connect fittings and attached to the pump. I dangled the plow into a swale and cycled up and down left and right, rechecked the fluids.
    The pistons still don't hold pressure, I can push them in by hand. There are no leaks on the pistons as far as I can see, BUT there is around the shaft of the up/down piston. Will that leak cause the problem I am experiencing? I have no issues with it holding the plow up. I can park the truck and come back in an hour and it's right where I left it. The L/R pistons look clean with no pitting. Any suggestions?

DSC04505.JPG

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Crossover valve needs rebuilt/replace. As for the lift ram leak, there is a large white o ring that deteriorates over time. Top cap needs to be removed to repair, suggest replacing wiper seal also. The nytite washer are not reusable so they will need replaced also. Few other things to check will cap is off, lift tube o ring, packing cup, suction screen, cap sleeve. The crossover is not difficult just follow the directions and take your time. There are also vids on youtube on how to rebuild.

3. defdes

defdes Junior Member

I figured that there were two issues in play, thanks a lot for the speedy reply.

4. kimber750

Both issues need to be addressed. Lift ram leak will allow water to enter the pump.

5. kimber750

Oh and that is a pretty bad@ss truck. Thumbs Up

6. defdes

defdes Junior Member

I watched the replacement video you referenced, it seems pretty straightforward though these things can be deceiving.
    Do you have a part source for the rebuild kits and the crossover valves?
    Can I do these rebuilds on the truck or....?

7. kimber750

I get my parts from local dealer. Crossover would be simple on the truck. The top cap would be a bit more difficult but it can be done. Need to find a way to support the pump once the lift ram is unbolted from the lift arm.

8. defdes

defdes Junior Member

It looks like I have an (earlier?) valve assembly 15556 with a non adjustable cross over valve. Do I need now the whole valve assembly or are there just a different series of parts I need to rebuild it?

9. kimber750

Can post a pic of the PA block? The part that the hoses go into.

10. defdes

defdes Junior Member

11. defdes

defdes Junior Member

I ordered the rebuild gaskets and the cross over valves from a nearly local Meyer distributor. But this is the valve assembly I was talking about.

E47.jpg

12. kimber750

Yep that is non adjustable PA block.