1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Plow Problems

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by rswojo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. rswojo

rswojo Member

I have an E47 Meyer pump and 7 foot plow on a 1978 Ford F-150. I was experiencing problems last winter with the initial lift of the plow. It would only raise 4-6 inches. I would drop it and then it would raise halfway. On the third lift it would raise to full height and then work properly. It seemed to also angle slowly when cold.

I just had the pump checked out and the hydraulics (and I would assume coils and motor) worked great in the shop. It was raising 1700lbs. It now has new fluid.

From doing some reading on this site it would appear that I might have some water in the system. If I do have water in the system now it can only be in the angle rams. If there is residual water in the rams it looks like I will have to remove them, remove the hoses, and dump all fluid in the rams. Looks to be kind of a pain. Is there an easier way to remove old fluid from these rams?

Any advice from someone with more expertise and experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. rswojo

rswojo Member

Thanks much. I really appreciate the favor you did for me with those links.:)

4. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

I just went through it all with a western....also always make sure you run the recommended Blue meyers fluid....E47's dont like ATF....found that out with a friend's pump

5. rswojo

rswojo Member

According to Meyers you are supposed to change this fluid every year. Mine hasn't been changed since 1996. The lift problem didn't occur until last winter. I plow a 500 foot driveway, mine of course, and that's it. I didn't have an owner's manual and of course I didn't need it until a problem occurred. Even then I still needed some advice from PlowSite members.

According to Meyers you are supposed to use a Non wax Napthenic cleaner to flush. I have never heard of that stuff. I will use the kerosene twice and then the Blue juice twice

Thanks again to all who responded.

6. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Yea kerosene is your best bet...thats what i use and it works just fine

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Meyer makes Hydra-Flush which would be your best bet to not introduce any contaminants.

8. rswojo

rswojo Member

My closest Meyers dealer is 60 miles away. I had been using some Buyers hydraulic fluid that I purchased in about 1996. Never had any problems until last winter. So I think I will check the local NAPA for something equivalent to the Meyers blue juice and use kerosene for the flush unless they have something specifically for flushing and it isn't too expensive. If I use kerosene I will have to buy a blue can for it which will add to the cost

All said I'm not going to get at it for another week as I have another project or two next on the list.

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Do a goggle search for Smith Brothers Plow Service, they sell the hydro flush and the correct fluid, they will ship and they also have a great website for info and tips on the E-47

Good Luck Mike

10. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

"smurf blue fluid vs ATF tranny fluid...

Hi all ..I had a lift problem also..cause someone said to use the smurf blue...changed out my tranny fluid for the blue stuff..and it would not lift....eeerr..returned the xxtra bottle of blue poo....back to the store and told them it dont work period got my refund...LOL .Went bACK el-cheepo tranny fluid been useing tranny fluid years...my experience with the blue smurf fluid it absolutely wont work in my 47 ,,,

11. rswojo

rswojo Member

I went to Smith Brothers web site and watched the video and printed out the instructions. The video shows that guy moving that A frame by hand and the instructions show somebody using an 8 foot 2x4 to compress the pistons.

Those guys must be part gorilla. I removed the quick connect mounted on one angle ram and removed the quick connect on the hose on the other angle ram. Pushed, nothing. Got a 2x4 and pried, it wouldn't budge.

Got out the backhoe. Pulled on the A frame and the other side of the plow came off the ground and the whole thing started to slide. So I put one truck tire on the far side of the plow and pulled with the backhoe to get the thing fully angled to get fluid in one cylinder only.

I then started flushing with kerosene. The first flush with kerosene came out light blue, the second flush came out clear on both turn rams. No discoloration from rust or anything else. I then flushed with blue (generic) NAPA hydraulic fluid twice. During the whole process I had to use the backhoe to extend and compress those pistons.

I then put it back on the truck and it works good. The pistons both have some rusty nicks in the chrome but are not leaking fluid miraculously. The truck is a 78 Ford F150 with 80,000 actual and rotting floorboards. I estimate getting the rusty pistons replaced would be around $400. The floorboards I will replace with sheet metal when necessary. I only use this truck to plow my driveway, to haul things occasionally, and back and forth to the lake with my boat. I average 500-1000 miles per year. I'm not sticking any more money into it than I absolutely have to. One of these days though I'm gonna have to break down and buy a used later model pickup and spring for a new plow. I'm dreading the day I have to spend $15,000-$20,000 to perform the duties this truck does.

Oh well, glad it is done.:drinkup:

12. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Rusty pistons might cause your problems to return. Water can travel past seals in those rust pits and mix with your fluid and freeze. Just be aware, also, those cylinders are under $100 each so may be worth changing if you have repeat issues.

13. rswojo

rswojo Member

The price is good to know, I thought it would be more.

The plow works and winter is coming. I am not touching it until spring. If it works, don't f... with it. In spring I will disconnect the cylinders and see which it is, the cylinders or the lift frame.

Also it is now a race to see which goes first, the truck or the plow.