1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Lowering Troubles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by donandg, Dec 18, 2004.

1. donandg

donandg Junior Member

I know this subject has been posted time and time again, but I am having problems trying to get an old, beat up E47 I just got (free!) to drop. I have "cobbled" together an old 6 1/2' western plow on an 82 cj7. Heres the deal; I knew the pump had some problems, so 1st thing I did was drain old fluid and replace. I downloaded the service manual from meyer, and per the troubleshooting guide, determined the A valve was clogged (12 volts to coil, magnetized fine). No luck trying to unclog, so bought new valve. New valve worked for about 2 cycles, then same problem; won't lower. Thought new valve was bad, got an exchange. This time, drained pump again, cleaned filters, ran Naptha through the pump several times to clean it (I moved the ram up and down, while alternately plugging front filters and A valve opening hoping to push the cleaner through all the circuits). Now it lowered for about 10 cycles, then SAME PROBLEM! The "lower" hydraulic circuit looks so simple, I'm starting to wonder what I might be missing. The ram moves fairly easily with the plugs removed, and I don't feel it binding. Is this pump so fragile that tiny impurities remaining after flushing it cause it to crap out? One thing; how important is it for proper coil operation that the ground go directly to the battery?
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

run a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the pump , see if that works.
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I would take out the filters, and drain plug, and remove the top cap and take about 2-3 cans of carb cleaner and squirt all the sludge out frrom the inside of the base assembly, then reinstall the filters and plug and refilll with clean blue hydraulic oil, not ATF

I would take the valve out and hose it down with carb cleaner while working the cartridge with the plow controls, it should make a loud click when energized.
  4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

your ground can go to battery or clean spot located on the engine.
    Remeber, you said you have good magnatism at the coil so your ground should not be an issue.
    It sounds pretty clear the unit needs a complete disassemble and clean.

do you want to do that? probably not, at the very least clean out the reservoir by taking of the tank and lift ram/tube assembly. if you want to find the "MUD", you will find it there. Goodluck, Plowtech.
  5. tjstruck

tjstruck Junior Member
    from NJ

hey Nate

Maybe "Big Nate" should take care of his "Plowing and deflector sales business" instead of sitting around postig here.Doesn't answer the phone doesn't reply to e-mails. The only thing he's done for me is take my money, fail to deliver product, and piss me off. Get your deflector somewhere else if you really want to get one.
  6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well I dont know if you know but Nate has been sick this week, so ease up would ya..Rob
  7. smiti105

smiti105 Member

I dont think Nate would do these things on purpose. I am sure there is a reason.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sludge in the bottom of the sump and moisture are the root of most problems. If you flush every season, then just flushing through drain and ports should be OK. But if you have no history with this pump then take the top off and inspect it. I bet you will find junk inside...
  9. tjstruck

tjstruck Junior Member
    from NJ

I spoke with him last week and he said it was on its way a week before that making it two weeks since shipping. His recent illness should have no effect on delivery if it was truly shipped 2 weeks ago. I am a reasonable person just don't bs me. been emailing and calling and he's not home tonight so either he's so sick he's in the hospital or he's well enough to contact a pissed off customer.
  10. donandg

donandg Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll pop the top off the pump and see what's crawling around in there, although I'm getting kind of sick of the smell of blue fluid (I should have bought a case of it, I guess). This is a really ratty, old version of the pump, that I'm sure was not taken care of. It's older than the current service manual illustrations; there are only 2 plugs on the front instead of the 3 shown in the diagrams. I'm just a little afraid that if I dismantle it, I'll find something else that will need replacing; it's 50 miles to the nearest parts place, and I'm looking at a **Blizzard** outside right now. Hey, anyone there want to plow my road? I'll bet it's cheaper than fixing this thing! On second thought, I'll give fixing it a go..this plowing stuff is Fun. Thanks again.