1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Quinnian, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

hi everyone, new to the site, from wisconsin. I've been repairing my old e47 meyer. I got a new motor and wiring harness for the slick stick controller. Wired it up and all I get is a clicking sound when trying to lift the arm. The sound is coming from one of the 2 cylinders next to the hydrolic ram. ( if you could tell me what those that'll help) does anyone know why it's just clicking and not turning the motor on?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well I'm betting the clicking your hearing is the solenoid under the hood, NOT the valves on the plow.
    Test light the solenoid, power in, power out while trying up, right, left. I would disconnect the pos wire at the plow motor tho just for safety

3. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

I researched it, the noise is coming from the coils

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Coils will have nothing to do with motor not running. If you have a new motor problem is in connections or slick stick or solenoid. Try jumping the two large terminals on solenoids. Plow should go left so stay clear.

5. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Also got a new solenoid, there was no problem with the old old. Guess I'll hook that one up and try

6. dieselss

I'm still betting it's the underhood solenoid.
    Like I said test light it
    And as kimber said, your coils have nothing to do with your motor not working

7. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Test lighted the solenoid and it's working so thats not the problem. Where do you have your solenoid mounted and where is the motor grounded. I have the pump motor grounded to the battery and the solenoid temporarily on the inside fender. Would any of that cause an issue?

8. dieselss

Then test light the motor pos while operating and see if your getting the same results
    So you have pwr in, press up...power out correct?

9. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Light turns on when I push the toggle up, it turns off when I shut the toggle off. I put the light on the ground, hat also lit up. Not sure if it's suppose to do that

10. dieselss

Test light clamp on positive batt terminal, then touch the other end to the gnd, yes it should light up.
    But if your clamp is on the neg batt post and your touching the neg batt cable at the plow motor, something is wrong

11. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

I have the clamp on a bolt

12. dieselss

What bolt?
    Ok. Get jumper cables. Neg batt to neg motor. Pos batt to pos post in motor. BE CAREFUL as the plow will move if there's nothing wrong. And touch to the pos motor and see what happens

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Not sure what I did, but took it apart and put it back together and it worked. New problem now. Motor runs but ram won't lift. It jerks a little but won't lift. I also want to add. Thanks for your patience. This is brand new to me and I don't plow for a living. Only clear mine and the in laws drive way out. All help is very much appreciated

14. kimber750

What position is the plow in now? Straight, left or right? Does it go right? Up is B coil, red wire. Is the fluid fuel? Which way does it jerk when you hit up?

15. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

It jerks up around a half inch. I'm able to lift the ram up by hand. Wasn't able to do that a couple years ago. Left and right does the same.

16. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Drained the oil, really runny

17. kimber750

So it does not move in any direction? Plow fluid should be rather thin.

Does motor sound like it is free spinning or loaded down? Any of the hoses have a lot of pressure on them? You say you drained the fluid is it filled to within 1 1/2" of the fill hole? Did you check the filters when you drained it?

For it to not move at all is lack of fluid, low pressure or blockage. What exactly did you take apart?

18. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

Definitely change the fluid. When full with the ram totally down, it should be 1 1/2" from the top. I like to use a small screwdriver, and wrap tape around the 2" point so I know it's topped off when there is 1/2" of fluid visible. Have you tried the lifting function with the chain to the plow disconnected? You may either have air in system and need to raise and lower it a few times, or the leather packing on the piston may have gone bad, and it is allowing fluid to pass by. If you need a hand troubleshooting over the phone, you can call me at 845-977-7385. I drink lots of coffee, so I don't sleep much.

Walter Ford

Plowing since the Blizzard of '96
    Fixing them since '04

:mechanic:

19. Quinnian

Quinnian Junior Member

Yeah the chain was off the ram. I'll have to get back to it tomorrow. Any certain type of fluid to use and should I bleed the rest of the lines out?

20. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

As you move the plow (left, right, up and down), the air will automatically bleed out as the fluid returns to the tank. You could have a valve stuck open, the pump regulator spring broken, or it could be as simple as the piston packing just being no good. They are great pumps, and are real easy to work on. My cell is 914-382-0452, you can call or text when you are outside working on it, and I'll help you get it going, or at least get you going in the right direction.

Walter