1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 Fluid

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Larry45, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a Meyer E47 plow. I always use Hydrualic fluid when I do a flush and refill, but some other people at the supply store tell me that you can use transmission fluid instead of hydrualic fluid and it is just as good. Is this true? or do these people even know what there talking about.
  2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Yes you can use it I don't think it's as good but not sure. I don't use it
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use either Meyer fluid or Hyda-flush. ATF and premium snowplow fluid are not compaditable.
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Basher... my dealer uses fisher hydro fluid in the meyers systems and it seems to work fine.

Can you tell me what problems you've seen because he sells and services a ton of plows every year and has a great rep around here. Why would Meyers have a special fluid vs any other plow mfg? I would think that orings are compatible with all types and as long as the viscosity is low enough at low temps then they should be ok right??? I'm not talking about ATF, just other hydro fluids.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It doesn't have to be a Meyer branded fluid, just a premium low temp fluid of the various brands.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod:and don't mix brands:nono:
  7. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

plow fluid

ATF is hydraulic oil. It runs a pump and cylinder for you steering the same way you plow runs a pump and cylinders. For many Years Western suggested ATF for there plows (they now make there own fluid). the only atvantage of using any Plow fluid is it is good to a lower tempeture (-30 to -40F). the only exception to this is if you have any meyer warranty on this pump as they will deny warranty if you us any other fluid but there's.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

AFT becomes as much as 11 times thicker then premium plow fluid. The advantages are longer pump and motor life, faster response times, lower amp draw and cleaner filters.
  9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Regular old ATF here...never a problem and I can do a full flush anytime for $5. I don't think thinner fluid will not make your pump last longer or keep your filters cleaner, it will also leak more. ATF is pretty thin even when cold, a few cycles and it works like it's 40 degrees out.
  10. intolerableblis

intolerableblis Junior Member

It's definitely not as good as Meyer fluid, but SnowDogg makes an aftermarket fluid that is considerably cheaper and just as good.
  11. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Lets face it. We all want to use ATF for one reason only. It's cheaper and as long as it works, why use the expensive stuff. I prefer to think the manafacture knows more than I do. Then again, they want to sell the more expensive fluid. Maybe some of the mechanics in PS have done a test with both to see what works best and what damage if any, resulted.
  12. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

The way I look at it, if you don't have leaks, you are not going to go through much fluid. I change mine once a year...Home use only...costs maybe $15/year for the blue stuff..
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Already been done many times over. When I get a pump in here filled with ATF showing slow performance and excessive AMP draw, or the truck just doesn't seem capable of keeping up with the electrical demands of the plow despite the equipment being in tip top shape the first thing I do is remove the ATF. Solves the excessive AMP draw issues easily. Been proven time and time again by the plow manufactures as well.

Would you use plow fluid in your transmission as a regular? How about in your brake system? Will it work? Yes it will.

Is it the correctly designed fluid for the job? No.
  14. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Like I've said a time a two... All decisions are made because of MONEY.
    Why do dealers put ATF in the new plows. It a lot cheaper and as long as the plower can get away with it, its more profit.