1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 fluid issue

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by gunship800, Sep 24, 2012.

1. gunship800

gunship800 Junior Member
    from s.e WI

Problem:

The motor operates but nothing happens. Ram doesn't go up, and the driver side ram moves only about a 1/2". It appears the lines and rams are filling up. When I pull the hoses off there is fluid that leaks out.

**After several seconds of motor operation, the fluid in the tank is so aerated and bubbly that it foams out of the fill hole. Fluid also leaks out of the front lower motor drain/breather hole. Pump is cavitating? Why?

I just rebuilt the internals with the basic seal kit. Pulled the motor apart, gears looked fine. It did the exact same thing before. There has to be something major wrong, stuck, or missing.

What am I missing?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure your getting pwr to the coils? How are the gnds as well. Sounds like its deadheading.

3. gunship800

gunship800 Junior Member
    from s.e WI

I can hear each of the coils clicking when I touch them to 12+ and operate the switches,

I'm also running a ground right to the battery and power right from the battery to the motor.

4. dieselss

So you touching to pwr,,are u trying to operate the plow as well??

5. gunship800

gunship800 Junior Member
    from s.e WI

Yes, power to motor while hitting "up" switch. Nothing happens. Same with left or right. Then tank overflows with foamy fluid and it dribbles out of the motor water drain hole.

6. dieselss

Well did you look at the wiring diag,,,make sure your pwring up the right coils at the right time your trying left right or up?

7. dieselss

You have to make sure that the coils are working via your controller. And hot wiring the motor and not the coils will or should deadhead the system resulting in foam and over flow

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I don't think this is electrical. This sounds a lot like a plugged inlet screen. At the bottom of the reservoir, there should be a tube/screen stuck in a hole on the pump side of the base. If that screen is plugged, the pump will not be able to draw fluid in.

9. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

E 47 fluid issue

hi unknown if you got it going or not,..But the question iswhat kind fluid are you attempting to use.The blue plow fluid .or transmission fluid..Some older E47 JUST Will try to function or not function at all using that BLUE Fluid. (i call it smurf-piss) If your trying use blue...drain it all and try dexron tranny fluid..ill never buy blue smurf
    again it dont work at all

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what gears looked fine? the motor has no gears??? did you disassemble the pump itself??

11. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Do not use tranny fluid as someone mentioned above. Use what it calls for. If it worked before you took it apart and re sealed it chances are someting isn't seating right and possibly allowing air in somewhere.Pull it back apart and do it again.

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Sorry, i mis read it doing it before. Did you check for a stuck or swollen vave?

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I have to confirm.... STAY AWAY FROM ATF!!!! Meyer pumps DO NOT like ATF. The stuff will froth up like nothing you've ever imagined and spew out your pump seals, maybe even POP OUT your lift cylinder main seal.

What that guy above probably observed in switching from the "blue stuff" (which is the good and correct fluid) is that he was previously over flowing with water with ice plugged screens. Draining the blue fluid out and replacing it (with anything, incorrect in this case) removed the majority of the contaminated fluid, and since the replacement fluid was WARM, melted the water out of the screens and allowed it to disperse more throughout the fluid.

To repeat once again: DO NOT PUT ATF IN YOUR MEYER PUMP.