1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer E47 Electrical Short Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cm70, Dec 8, 2004.

1. cm70

cm70 Junior Member
    from NH

Finally got around to hooking up my plow only to find it shorts out when I try to lower it.

Whenever I try to lower the plow it blows the 20amp fuse. It raises and angles fine. The 20amp fuse controls the A/C Clutch, maintenance reminder light, speed control, Transmission oil temp light, and snow plow control solenoids (not sure if anything other than the snow plow solenoids matter for troubleshooting).

I have inspected all the wires and checked all of the connections, everything looks ok. I did replace the "A" solenoid two years ago, so I checked the wire connection from the A solenoid where it plugs into the harness and it looked worn so I respliced it, but it still shorted. If I remember right it is the A solenoid that lowers the plow (B raises and C angles right).

Any ideas on troubleshooting? I plan on running out tomorrow and stocking up on 20amp fuses so I can test it and hopefully fix this before the snow comes...
  2. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Take the wire off the solenoid and try it with a new fuse. If it blows the fuse again, its in the wire. if not, its in the solenoid.

For testing the wire, I would use a ohm meter and set it on diode test ( most DVOM's have a beep when you have flow). and hook one end to the wire, and the other to the neg on the battery. If you get a solid beep, start wiggling the harness and listen for the beep to either quit, or studdler. this should get you close to your shorted wire.

good luck!