1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 does not work in extreme cold

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 1995droptopz, Dec 13, 2010.

1. 1995droptopz

1995droptopz Junior Member

I recently purchased a truck with an E47 pump and a 6.5' poly plow. I have the joystick control. It worked a few weeks ago after I cleaned up the wiring and soldered all of the connections. I removed the blade assembly after I got it all working and set it outside.

The other day with the threat of snow, I hooked it up and noticed the couplers were frozen. I heated them up lightly and connected it up. When I tried to move the plow, I was able to lift it, but could not drop it or move left or right. The motor was turning on, but not moving the blade.

I went back to it the next day to begin troubleshooting, and everything worked. I tried it again yesterday and plowed my driveway no problem. This morning I fired it up to take care of the drifts. I dropped the plow and did one pass, then when I attempted to lift it, it took considerable effort. I couldn't get it to go all the way up, then it won't move in any other direction again. Tried it again after lunch. and it was the same thing.

Could this be water in the oil freezing, or do I have a more serious issue? Thanks for your help

2. 1995droptopz

forgot to note that it was about 28 degrees F yesterday, and about 13 F this morning

3. evy30

evy30 Junior Member

i would also like to hear what the problem is we had the same thing happen

4. bdschumaker

bdschumaker Junior Member
    from IL

my first guess is water in pump/cylinders. Do you flush annually? Do you you have any leaks where water could get in? The wiper on the pump ram and or wiper on angle cylinders is usually the were i find water coming in. When you do flush, make sure you do cylinders & pump. Or it could be as simple as bad couplers.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you have water contaminated oil in your pump/lines.
    a good flush and refill with quality Meyers oil will fix you up.
    you should flush every year before plow season starts.

6. 1995droptopz

Last night I pulled it in the garage and put the heater on, then drained the pump, removed and cleaned the filters, then removed the quick connects from the angling cylinders and moved the blade back and forth. That is when I had the slush/gel crap come out. I put it all back together and filled it, cycled it several times and did another drain/fill. Took it out and did my driveway with no issues. I will check it again this evening to make sure it still works after sitting in the cold.

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite

Did you ever find the leak? Even the slightest seapage will let water in the system. Fix the leaks and then add about one tbl of Dry Gas to the fluid if you don't use Meyer Fluid.

Good Luck

8. 1995droptopz

I did not find any leaks, but I had it sitting outside for a few months. In the spring I intend to replace my lines and couplers, since the lines are mismatched and one has a handful of fittings on both ends. Otherwise I do not know since I didn't get a chance to do a fluid change this year and I don't know the history of this equipment.

9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

If it happens again despite cleaning/refilling the reservoir you
    may need to check for leaks. Two seasons ago I found that
    the top cap gasket was torn on my E47 and also a pitted
    angle cylinder was allowing water to be sucked into the system.
    Fixed both of those things then filled with M1 and it was
    smooth sailing after that. This forum is a godsend for sure!

10. bdschumaker

bdschumaker Junior Member
    from IL

When you do replace the couplers and hoses, be sure to replace with quality ones, not the cheap ones. I have had several issues with cheap couplers, spend the money and get the good ones! You will be glad you did in the long run.

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you should do a fluid service every year before you start plowing. the small amount of condensation that accumulates over 1 year usually will not make any difference, but 2 years worth is enough to give you ice crystals that will block valves.

12. 1995droptopz

I didn't purchase this truck or plow until October this year, and then everything else I own decided to break. I had the oil waiting, just needed the time...