1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 blowing fuses when if down/float !

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by HeavyD, Dec 17, 2009.

1. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

Hey guys,
    I have an E47 set up that keeps blowing my accessory fuse every time I throw the slik stick down to lower the plow. It works fine to raise/and angle both directions but every time I click it into the down position it blows the fuse. Cant figure this out. Please a little help !
    Deano

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Disconnect the black wire on the A coil out at the pump and place the stick in float again. If it then doesn't pop the then the A coil is shorted out.

If it still pops it even with the coil disconnected then there's a short in the controller harness, probably where it passes through the firewall.

3. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

Well, disconnected the A coil and NO FUSE blowing.......down side is I don't have an extra....

Is it possible the A coil valve sticking open or closed causes the A coil to fry? It was working fine this am until I caught a curb at the end of my driveway while it was in float, it didn't work after that...

THANKS for the troubleshooting info..I was banging my head into the snow covered pavement ! :)
    Electrical is not my Forte'

Dean

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Take the coil off and have a look at it....The wire may be shorting out where it goes into the coil....I have even had them break off and have reattached them...as long as it isn't grounding somewhere....worth a look.

5. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

The wire actually looks good, Is there a way to test the coil itself ?,
    Does it short to the outside case, can I check it with continuity from the black wire to the outside case?
    Thanks !
    Dean

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

That would tell you if its shorting, I think........I'm no electrician....lol

7. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

well great info, thanks for the help !

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can OHM test the coil (anything less than 10 OHM is ok) but there's really no point, it's bad, replace it.

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

For $15 you can get an A/M one why waste your time , just throw a new one on, you can also buy a A-coil & valve assembly for less than $60 for a A/M one. Either way it's cheap money to get you going again.

10. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

Absolutely....easy money well spent. I am just trying to learn a bit as I go.
    THANKS for all the help....am going to put together a spare kit today while at the plow shop,
    seeing its an hour away, might as well be prepared, as I was not previously.
    Thanks again !
    Dean

11. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

More questions.....

Off to Syracuse I went, bought all the parts and extras I thought I would need, replaced the "A" coil and valve with a brand new set up (that's another post) and went to lower the plow and "BAM" fuse blows AGAIN..:realmad: So back to the drawing board....this time I pulled the wiring harness 12 " into the cab to look at the firewall area of the harness...looked all good, went out and followed it all around and down to the plow..all good covering in tact etc. Went back in cab and threw the slick stick down and it worked this time..raised it up and down a few times and it works fine....I'm assuming there is a short in the harness somewhere that I can not see so I ordered the harness from the guys in Syracuse.....Am I on the right track here???? Could it be the slick stick ????
    Thanks,
    Dean

12. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Since you moved the harness around and that seemed to fix it for now, I would say you are on the right track.